Chances?? 3.1cGPA MCAT(11VR,12PS,12BS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brendan85023

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heres my stats, need some advice as to how I could improve my application. I'm already graduating so I can bump my gpa currently unless I go to masters or post-bac.

3.1cGPA MCAT35(11VR,12PS,12BS)

Undergraduate degree in Biological Science at Arizona State University.

-4 years volunteer counselor Scottsdale Health Care.
-Co-Founder of business Fraternity on Campus. Executive Vice President & Community Chairman.
-3 years research experience in Biogeochemistry, Nursing Clinic & Neurophysiology with 4 publications.
-1 posters for Society of Neuroscience, 1 poster American Association for the Advancement of Science, 1 poster School of Life Science Symposium,&1 political science article for a journal.
-Massage Therapist 6 years
-Mentor for School of Life Science at ASU.

LOTR from - Neuroscience Professor, Biology Professor, MD former president of
American Academy of Family Physicians.

I know my gpa is way low, but I compensate in extracurricular activities. I'm applying to 12 schools 3 of which are in Arizona (ie. UofA) and the most are in California private schools.

Brendan

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes i do have an upward trend in my gpa, significantly. as far as my AACOMAs gpa, yes i do believe it is higher. there were classes that i ended up retaking.

I am 25 years old and am not a non-traditional age

yes i do have an upward trend in my gpa, significantly. as far as my AACOMAs gpa, yes i do believe it is higher. there were classes that i ended up retaking.

I am 25 years old and am not a non-traditional age

I still think you need to get the GPA higher first.....

Assuming your sGPA isn't dismal, I think you have a shot at DO med schools now, with your four extra years of maturity above a typical applicant. If you're willing to put more time and money into getting into an MD schools, I'd suggest looking at SMPs (Special Masters Programs) which you can learn about in the Postbaccalaureate Programs Forum. Another year of postbac work at 4.0 isn't going to raise your cGPA enough (I figure roughly 3.28). A traditional hard-science masters degree iin general isn't helpful, but I think I recall that UArizona is one of the exceptions to the general rule. Don't take my word for it though: call and ask if you want to go that route.