Chances 3.2 cGPA, 2.9 sGPA, 28 MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bj28

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like I said in the subject
3.2 cGPA, 2.9 sGPA -will go up, overall solid upward trend (had a bad freshman year and those sciences took the hit)
28 MCAT
Have strong leadership and peer holistic health education program experiences
Strong LOR from faculty and doctors shadowed
Looking at LECOM, PCOM (GA as well), NYCOM, UNECOM, CCOM (Among others)

How are my odds based off of this

Members don't see this ad.

Can you get the science gpa up with a retake or two this summer? 3.0 is a good minimum number to hit. I would also apply to the newer schools such as ACOM, MUCOM, CUCOM, LMU-DCOM, etc. (lower average stat schools) I think doing those things will greatly increase your chances of getting an acceptance this application cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
remove UNECOM, CCOM, and NYCOM. Add ACOM, LUCOM, LMU, WVSOM, KYCOM, PNWU, CUSOM, MUCOM, SOMA, KCOM, NSU, Touro-Ca, and Touro-NY. Several of these are reaches, but not impossible.

That being said, expect lots of rejections, make the most of any interview you receive, and be willing to move anywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok thanks, so still a chance at LECOM and the two PCOM campuses?

The 2.9 will hurt. But your Mcat is decent enough to kinda push you a bit.

Basically apply like to 20 schools and have a good set of DO lors and experience.

remove UNECOM, CCOM, and NYCOM. Add ACOM, LUCOM, LMU, WVSOM, KYCOM, PNWU, CUSOM, MUCOM, SOMA, KCOM, NSU, Touro-Ca, and Touro-NY. Several of these are reaches, but not impossible.

That being said, expect lots of rejections, make the most of any interview you receive, and be willing to move anywhere.
NSU and TU-CA would be reaches. TU-NY should be for the Middletown campus.

OP, I think it's okay to have 2 or 3 reaches, but there overall list above should give you the best results.

I kind of jumped the gun on the science GPA I didnt see AACOMAS take nutrition, and potentially my Biobehavioral Health dept classes (Interactions of organ systems, Interdisciplinary Integration (review of scientific literature) with just nutrition or with all of those my sGPA will be above 3.0

Would this have a big impact on schools I can get into in terms of my original list?

Ok thanks, so still a chance at LECOM and the two PCOM campuses?
I would call PCOM Philadelphia a reach.

Also, do your ECs have any clinical volunteer experience? If not, that's going to hurt you all around.

Also, do your ECs have any clinical volunteer experience? If not, that's going to hurt you all around.
Yes, my neighbor is a pediatric cardiologist and he's acted as a mentor over a number of years so I have volunteered with him for some time

PCOM is a mess that makes no sense. Applying should be done for ****s and giggles, not for an actual solid chance of attending.

Reactions: 2 users
I was in similar position this last year as you with a slightly higher MCAT and will be attending med school in August. CUSOM requires a 3.2 science so don't bother and NOVA and WVSOM requires 3.0 science so if you make the 3.0 it will help. Good luck! It is possible you just have to apply to anywhere you make the minimums (double check so you don't end up paying for somewhere you don't make the cutoffs for). It can be done especially if you have solid ecs, recs and rock your interview!

Reactions: 1 user
I kind of jumped the gun on the science GPA I didnt see AACOMAS take nutrition, and potentially my Biobehavioral Health dept classes (Interactions of organ systems, Interdisciplinary Integration (review of scientific literature) with just nutrition or with all of those my sGPA will be above 3.0

Would this have a big impact on schools I can get into in terms of my original list?
It will help tremendously but still, apply to at least 15 schools

Get the sGPA > 3.0 and you should be OK at those schools.

3.2 cGPA, 2.9 sGPA -will go up, overall solid upward trend (had a bad freshman year and those sciences took the hit)
28 MCAT

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you get the science gpa up with a retake or two this summer? 3.0 is a good minimum number to hit. I would also apply to the newer schools such as ACOM, MUCOM, CUCOM, LMU-DCOM, etc. (lower average stat schools) I think doing those things will greatly increase your chances of getting an acceptance this application cycle.
I thought the newer schools were still within the same range? Any posted numbers available?

I would say no. It would increase your chances at LECOM and PCOM-GA, but the others are hard reaches. That's not to say impossible. Weird things have happened every cycle, but if it were me, I wouldn't hold my breath.

MUCOM is a tougher get than its age implies.

But it's still worth trying.

MUCOM is a tougher get than its age implies.

But it's still worth trying.
they seem to be generous with interviews, but then waitlist and reject most people. But of those that do get in, many have pretty plain-Jane stats.

SOMA is similar.

they seem to be generous with interviews, but then waitlist and reject most people. But of those that do get in, many have pretty plain-Jane stats.

SOMA is similar.

This year most of the people I've noticed get in we're packing high Mcat scores tbh.
SOMA is not for everyone. I know if I have to reapply it's one of the few schools I would cross off.

28 MCAT

Wow that's your AACOMAS avg even with retakes? Retake some courses that you have C's in and wait to apply one cycle. That's my real advice. Don't settle for whatever place will accept the lowest common denominator of your application. The rest of your app is solid -- bring up the GPA a tick or two and you will open many doors.

Most people are saying what I'm gonna say: retake a class (or 2) this summer that will bring up your sGPA.

Haven't done any retakes yet that's in the works. I miscalculated earlier because I didn't know what classes AACOMAS accepts for sGPA so now it's
3.2 cGPA 3.0sGPA 28 MCAT, plus whatever grades I get for this semester so it should go up

Haven't done any retakes yet that's in the works. I miscalculated earlier because I didn't know what classes AACOMAS accepts for sGPA so now it's
3.2 cGPA 3.0sGPA 28 MCAT, plus whatever grades I get for this semester so it should go up
you are good to go then. Add TUNCOM to your school list.

Believe it or not, a 3.3/3.1 will give you more opportunities, but with the 3.0sGPA and 28 MCAT you will likely get in somewhere... might not be your no 1 or no 5 choice.