DO Chances? 3.2 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA, (6/8/10) MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aHealthNut

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm wondering what my chances are for any DO school, as I could see myself in primary care, and want to learn about OMM. I'm a junior at a top 15 university have a pretty rigorous science/engineering major.
3.2 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA ---> upward trend, looking to continue, gap year intended.
24 MCAT (06 PS, 08 VR, 10 BS) (8/3/13)

RETAKE: 29 MCAT (10 PS, 10 VR, 9 BS) (8/7/14). Satisfied, studied during an internship and traveling for tournaments during summer. Little disappointed BS went down a point, but is that ok?

Good ECs: (will have) 3 years as president of a sports club (from planning trips to competing in national tournaments, has been a huge part of my time).
-Residential Advisor (RA)
-Student Associate for a year (volunteer position, guided a freshman floor)
-Shadowed family physicians MD/DO (50 hrs). Emergency Room Dept. Shadowing (30 hrs).
-Involved with a year long research project through the med school, produced a provisional patent, invented a medical device, worked with physicians, looking to maybe take to market
-Clinical Volunteering 30+ hours last semester.
-Member of Senior Honor Society

So what do you guys think? I really would love to go to a DO school, but would also consider MD schools in state if I have a chance, I'm an Illinois Resident... Appreciate any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would retake the MCAT because as it stands, you have 0 chance at MD, and the odds for DO are only slightly better than that. You would really benefit from a few retakes and an MCAT retake. If you did that, i think you'd have a decent shot. You would also need clinical volunteering.

1. LUCOM
2. ACOM
3. CUSOM
4. VCOM-CC
5. LECOM-E
6. MUCOM
7. ATSU-SOMA
8. ATSU-KCOM
9. PNWU
10. LMU
11. WVSOM

Members don't see this ad :)
1. LUCOM
2. ACOM
3. CUSOM
4. VCOM-CC
5. LECOM-E
6. MUCOM
7. ATSU-SOMA
8. ATSU-KCOM

9. PNWU
10. LMU
11. WVSOM

From a personal experience, I would omit the ones I highlighted.

Thanks for the feedback! So is that a list of schools that I'd have a shot at/should apply to with my stats? Also how does a C and a C+ in intro premed classes look, esp at osteopathic schools? Would you guys recommend retaking a class or two, or take higher lvl classes and do better?

Thanks for the feedback! So is that a list of schools that I'd have a shot at/should apply to with my stats? Also how does a C and a C+ in intro premed classes look, esp at osteopathic schools? Would you guys recommend retaking a class or two, or take higher lvl classes and do better?
I had "plenty" of Cs in important classes and still got accepted to a great DO school. If you have enough to fill requirements and still need more classes to fill your schedule, then yes... I would recommend retaking some of those just to show them that you CAN do well with the material. Otherwise, I don't think it's an issue.

Overall: maybe re-take one or two of the low grades (which could significantly bump up your AACOMAS sGPA) and really focus on that MCAT for a retake. Additionally, you may want to look into getting some volunteer experience. I think your chances look okay as it stands, but if you can get 3-6 points of improvement on the MCAT (not too difficult) and a little bump in your grades, you'll be in a much better spot.

Last edited:
Ok so I'm focusing on an MCAT retake this semester, and then how does retaking GenChem II and Bio II at a community college look this summer? My undergrad univ. won't take the credits from a CC, but I'm wondering if it would still factor into my AACOMAS GPA.

Ok so I'm focusing on an MCAT retake this semester, and then how does retaking GenChem II and Bio II at a community college look this summer? My undergrad univ. won't take the credits from a CC, but I'm wondering if it would still factor into my AACOMAS GPA.
I don't see why AACOMAS would question the grades. They will almost certainly factor into your AACOMAS GPA but may be up to the individual schools whether or not they will accept the grades (for example, I know some schools accept the UC Berkeley Extension online biochem, but others don't). I expect an accredited CC is fine.

Hey guys,

Kind of on the low end of competitive. You wouldn't get an interview at my school, but I'll bet you'll have a few takers. Suggest retaking the C courses, and if you're shut out in one app cycle, retake the MCAT with some serious prep.

I'm wondering what my chances are for any DO school, as I could see myself in primary care, and want to learn about OMM. I'm a junior at a top 15 university have a pretty rigorous science/engineering major.
3.2 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA (C in 2nd sem. GenChem, a C+ in bio, rest range from Bs to A-s)
24 MCAT (06 PS, 08 VR, 10 BS) I felt like I rushed taking my MCAT, took a prep class but only rigorously studied the last 3 weeks before my test
Good ECs: (will have) 3 years as president of a sports club (from planning trips to competing in national tournaments, has been a huge part of my time).
-Residential Advisor (RA)
-Student Associate for a year (volunteer position, guided a freshman floor)
-Shadowed family physician MD past summer (30hrs.)
-Involved with a year long research project thru our Medical School, designing solutions to physician problems, working with graduate and medical students
I'm working on getting DO shadowing experience, have something lined up for next semester

So what do you guys think? Should I retake my MCAT or focus on improving my GPA/getting more clinical experience? I really would love to go to a DO school, but would also consider MD schools in state if I have a chance... Appreciate any feedback!

Update: retook MCAT, more clinical experience, (see updated post) WAMC :)?

Last edited:
I am currently a senior graduating that switched from Pre-PT to Pre-Med. During my Sophmore year I incurred some really bad grades whic were a result of familial and the passing of a loved one. Amongst those bad grades I earned a F in Cal twice and a C in Gen Chem 1 on my second try as I was intent on having a reason to leave school and come home.A fter that I earned a couple more C's but re-took all classes and earned an A. Sorry for the long post, So here are my stats:
MCAT: 28
UGPA: 3.6
SGPA: 3.51
URM: Black Male
Shadowing: 120 hours 30-Pathology,60- Family Medicine, 30-Physical Medicine and Rehab
Extracurriculars: Academic tutor 3 years, Student Assistant 2years, Impact Peer Mentor 2 years, Muscle Dystrophy Association counselor 2 years, Habitat for Humanity builder 2 years
*** Did 20 Post-bacc hours at 4.0.

Reactions: 1 user