MD & DO Chances - 3.5cgpa, 3.2sgpa - 07/22/16 MCAT - TX res - ED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ins2doc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I would like to see what my chances are. I am applying this cycle, mostly to DO schools and some TX instate MD.

A little background:

Graduated this May, 2016 from a large tier 1 state university. Major: psych, Minor: biology

AACOMAS cgpa: 3.5 sgpa: 3.2
AMCAS cgpa: 3.48 sgpa: 3.18
MCAT: scheduled for 07/22/16

I was an international student, moved to the US in December 2009. started school January 2010. due to financial hardship (OOS tuition and lack of funds), I had to transfer to a community college. I received my work permit and basically worked full-time throughout my undergrad. I support my parents and claim them as dependents on my taxes. I worked from 9-5 and took evening classes. some classes that were available during the day, I couldn't really attend them since I was at work. I couldn't quit or else I wouldn't be able to afford my tuition OR support my parents. After transferring back to the state university, things got harder financially but I managed to work through it.

I had one semester where I really fell into depression and felt like giving up. I had the worst semester (Fall 2014). However, I had consistent A's in all my classes for all of 2015. Last semester, 2016, I had 2 B's and a C.

-------
EC's:
I come from a politically unstable area. I had volunteered in hospitals in my home country, mostly in Trauma and ICU.

in the US:
Hearts and Hammers (2011): I spent about 60 hours painting and performing repairs to homes for the elderly and underprivileged.

Volunteered at a non-profit clinic that provides care for low income families - about 100 hours (2014 - current)

Volunteered at a major hospital in various departments for an approximate 50-60 hours (2015 - current)

Shadowed 2 doctors - IM, Family - average of 5-6 days each (No DO shadowing opportunity yet)

No research (due to the timing of my job, there's nothing available for evenings)

Volunteered at a charity that helps refugees settle down and provide education, housing and food for them
------------
LOR:
2 from science professors, 1 from MD, 1 from my manager at work

I'm now a TX resident, permanent US resident. Asian male. not sure if I would qualify for economically disadvantaged?

First, is the timing bad enough (for DO) that I should wait for the next cycle? I would really like to get in this cycle since I'm quitting my job, saved up enough to sustain myself for a year. I would really like to get in this cycle.

What are my chances? Looking to apply:
All in-state TX schools
DO schools, preferably PCOM GA and Philly

help with my list would be greatly appreciated. I already sent in transcripts to AACOMAS, and will apply to just one school and get verified before I apply to multiple ones. I have saved up enough to where I can apply to 15-20 schools.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your July MCAT will not be a problem for DO schools but is somewhat late for MD schools. It is difficult to advise you without a MCAT score so post your score here in August when it is available. If you score above 500 you would be competitive for at least some DO schools but would need at least 508 for some of your Texas MD schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Your July MCAT will not be a problem for DO schools but is somewhat late for MD schools. It is difficult to advise you without a MCAT score so post your score here in August when it is available. If you score above 500 you would be competitive for at least some DO schools but would need at least 508 for some of your Texas MD schools.
Thank you! I am studying everyday 5-7 hours for the 07/22 MCAT. I will post my results as soon as I receive them (08/23). Glad to hear I'm not too late for the DO cycle!