Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

DO Chances? 3.6 sGPA / 3.7 cGPA / 24 MCAT

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by shinosuke, 09.30.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. shinosuke

shinosuke 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Unfortunately my MCAT is low, 8/8/8, and my GPA is not stellar...

-Clinical volunteer activities
    300 hours in a hospital working with patients
    -Physician shadowing (include specialties and total hours)
    90 hours, shadowed a rotation of MD 2/3rd year residents
    -Research
    Internship at a company as a Chemical Analyst (worked with GC-MS) for half a year about 20 hours a week
    -Nonclinical volunteer activities
    Rotaract club for 2 years
    -Employment
    currently a full time Scribe, around 300 hours logged at the moment (just started 3 months ago though so it's not on my application and I feel like it's too late to add it)

I applied to

PCOM - Philadelphia
    PCOM - Georgia
    NYCOM
    Rowan

Do I have a shot at any of them? I'm really concerned because of my MCAT...

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. hallowmann

hallowmann 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Your GPAs are good, but your MCAT is obviously low. The good news is that it's an even score, so you aren't struggling in a specific subsection. If you are sure you can improve, I strongly recommend planning a retake (you might want to do it before the 2015 change that will happen after Jan). You want to aim for at least a 2-3 score improvement.

Your list is also far too top heavy. For 3/4 of the schools you applied to, your MCAT is probably more than 1 SD below their averages. That doesn't mean you absolutely won't get in, but if you want to get in this cycle, you need to apply more broadly to the newer schools. PCOM-GA is fine, but they have some regional bias that you should be aware of.

Consider adding some newer schools like CUSOM, ACOM, MUCOM, & LMU-DCOM. I would also add LECOM, because they're not terribly far from the region it seems you want to be in, even though their MCAT average is much higher than yours.

4. pollos

pollos

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Your MCAT is on the lower end but the 8's won't get you auto-screened anywhere so that's good news! Definitely add a couple schools that hallowmann mentioned. Rowan also has an in-state bias so keep that in mind if you aren't a NJ resident. You could also consider WVSOM.

5. shinosuke

shinosuke 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thank you for the replies! I forgot to mention I am a NJ resident and would like to try to go to school near my family.

Would it be too late to add schools at this point? I have completed my secondaries for the schools mentioned above already and was hoping my chances would not be 0% in getting in..

My adviser had recommended I only apply to 3-4 schools this cycles and apply more broadly after I retake my MCAT and get more hours working as a scribe. I cannot guarantee I would get a better score on the MCAT either, I had higher averages on my practice and got a 24 unfortunately, so it makes me a bit worried.

6. pollos

pollos

Medical Student (Accepted)
    What were you scoring on your practices? If you're in no rush to get in and don't mind taking another year off, then I'd listen to your adviser. I wouldn't know your exact chances but I'm pretty sure they're not 0%, you do have a chance!

7. shinosuke

shinosuke 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I was getting around the high 20s low 30s, but after my score came back I'm not so confident in my practice scores.

I applied this cycle because I felt I was ready (currently on my gap year) with only my MCAT holding me back. I don't mind working another year, but I would like to avoid it if possible!

Thank you for replying by the way, I appreciate it!

8. user3

user3 SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    you need to apply to far more schools. Add at least 10 more. Do not apply to CCOM, AZCOM, LECOM-B, or the Touro's.

9. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    100% agree. Focus on the newest schools.

10. shinosuke

shinosuke 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Is it too late this cycle? I was told to apply very early or my chances were shot.

11. user3

user3 SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    no, but you will need to apply broadly

About the ads