Chances? 32N, cGPA 3.61, sGPA 3.62

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MC24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-CO resident, non-traditional
-32N May 2010 (9VR, 11PS, 12BS); 28N (7, 9, 12) September 2008
-cGPA 3.61, sGPA 3.62 (according to AMCAS as they include my repeated D, according to my school cGPA 3.7, sGPA 3.76)
-Graduated Magna Cum Laude, Dean's list sophomore to graduation.
-Undergrad Neuroscience Certificate
-2 years microbial research in college that lead to an honors thesis that may be published, LOR from my sponsor and professor
-Currently doing surgery research for a level-one hospital part-time, LOR from the research fellow doctor
-Should be doing another study at the same hospital with publication possible, just have to wait for IRB approval
-48 hours EMT student clinical, mostly basic ambulance and ED shifts but also IV therapy training. Tons of patient interaction and communication
-16 hours of health fair volunteer in drawing blood and taking blood pressure for the undeserved community
-Over 100 hours volunteering in different hospitals in different departments (Cardiology, ED, Transfusion, ICU). Still volunteer 4 hrs/wk
-16 Shadowing an orthopedic surgeon. Plus, I consider some of the volunteer hours shadowing as I got to know residents in the ED and followed them around as they diagnosed and treated patients.
-other non-medical volunteering and charity donations
-Nothing really to document leadership, just anecdotes:(

List of schools:
Long Shot
Northwestern University
Tufts
Albert Einstein
Hopeful
University of Colorado (resident and 1st choice)
University of Connecticut
Boston University
Stony Brook
Saint Louis University
Good chance
Albany Med College
Creighton University
Drexel University
George Washington University
Georgetown University
Loyola University
Medical College of Wisconsin
New York Medical College
Oregon
Rosalind Franklin University
Tulane University
Safety
University of Kansas
Michigan State University

Should I add more safety schools and remove some from the good chance? I really want to get into CU but I know it is competitive even for CO residents, is there anything I can do to increase my chances for CU?

I really want to limit my schools to under 20 as the cost is to much for my budget

Thanks for the feedback

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to be monetarily conservative, take out Kansas unless you have strong state ties, and remove the long shots. You are a bit below OSHU's requirement for OOS applicants; and I have no idea if they bend on that.

You could also reconsider any school getting > 10,000 applications a year (Boston, Georgetown, GWU).

What about Buffalo, UVermont, UCentral Florida, Toledo, MSU?

Read through the PreMed Allo School Specific thread on Colorado to see if there're ideas on how to make yourself more appealing to your state school. Being a nontad helps you there.