Chances? 33Q 3.8 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boshtrich

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been wandering around SDN for a while but this is my first post. Just wondering what people have seen regarding acceptance chances for someone with a reasonably good GPA and MCAT but pretty ordinary (i.e. boring) EC experiences. I volunteer in two hospitals, shadow an ER doc, quite a bit of research at a national lab (w/ leadership) and some non-clinical volunteering. Already got a quick reject from Mayo and just curious as to what other people think. Applied mostly to "competitive schools" (based on MCAT and GPA) with some reaches like Northwestern and NYU.

Stats: 33Q MCAT (11PS 10VR 12 BS), 3.79 cGPA, 3.78 sGPA, engineering major, CO resident

Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been wandering around SDN for a while but this is my first post. Just wondering what people have seen regarding acceptance chances for someone with a reasonably good GPA and MCAT but pretty ordinary (i.e. boring) EC experiences. I volunteer in two hospitals, shadow an ER doc, quite a bit of research at a national lab (w/ leadership) and some non-clinical volunteering. Already got a quick reject from Mayo and just curious as to what other people think. Applied mostly to "competitive schools" (based on MCAT and GPA) with some reaches like Northwestern and NYU.

Stats: 33Q MCAT (11PS 10VR 12 BS), 3.79 cGPA, 3.78 sGPA, engineering major, CO resident

Thanks for any input!
The AllApplicants stats grid suggests you have a 82% of an acceptance somewhere. Reachier schools might still be within your grasp if your ECs are particularly strong, as they can trump numbers to some extent. Lackluster ECs might mean that less-selective schools will snap you up to add your stats to their numbers. Hopefully, you included some safeties on your list.

Members don't see this ad :)
With those stats you should get some interviews. I would not worry about the quick rejects. You have a competitive MCAT score a good GPA and some good ec experience.

Thanks for the replies. I applied to 15 schools, most of which have averages below my numbers so hopefully it all works out in the end.

Thanks for the replies. I applied to 15 schools, most of which have averages below my numbers so hopefully it all works out in the end.

It may be a long cycle but I think you're golden :)