Chances? 34 MCAT, 4.0 cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bentonj002

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a recent fall 2014 graduate that obtained a bachelors in bio pre-med. I am a Missouri resident and applying for the 2016 matriculation. I could use some help on the chances for the schools on my list.

Stats/Facts:
- I currently reside in Kenya. I am here to chase my dream of qualifying for the US Olympic Marathon Trials. While here I have been shadowing and volunteering at the local hospital and clinics.
- 4.0 cGPA, Summa Cum Laude graduate
- 34 MCAT old (10 PS, 12 VR, 12 BS)
- I have volunteered at the local hospital and clinics and will continue to do so until January 2016 (120 hours, 3 hours 2x a week)
- Orthopaedic Surgeon Internship/Shadowing (80 hours, 1 doc, 1 NP)
- Cardiologist Shadowing (40 hours, 5 docs, 1 NP)
- Cardiovascular Surgeon shadowing (4 hours, 1 doc)
- General Surgeon shadowing (80 hours, 1 doc, Kenya)
- No research experience
- Volunteered at a charity here in Kenya and will continue to do so until January 2016 (50 hours, 2.5 hours 1x a week)
- Worked at campus rec center 2.5 years while enrolled full time in school (20 hours a week)
- Competed in NCAA DII cross country and track all 4 years of school (25 hours a week)
- All Conference, All Regional, National Qualifier
- 4x leadership award recipient (only 4x winner in team's history)
- elected team captain by teammates and coaching staff 3 years in a row
- NCAA Academic All-American/CoSida Academic All American multiple times: Student athlete who maintains 3.5 GPA or higher and reaches certain level of competition
- The Elite 89 Academic Recognition Award Program Finalist (2013 and 2014): honors the individual who has reached the pinnacle of competition at the national championship level in his or her sport, while also achieving the highest academic standard among his or her peers.
- Deans's List
- Alpha Chi Honor Society
- student athlete tutor (36 hours, 4 hours 3x a week)
- Human Anatomy Lab Practicum Assistant (1 semester)

School List:
Stanford (hail mary)
Duke
Columbia
Vanderbuilt
Baylor
Feinberg
Rochester
Emory
Mayo
Geisel
Mizzou (safety school)

I realize that a lot of these are big name and big research schools. What do you think my chances of getting in are?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Other than Mizzou, nearly all of those schools are reaches, especially since you have no research. It's fine to keep those schools as reaches, but you need to add more realistic schools on top of them.

- No research experience

You have a great application otherwise. But that lack of research is going to put you short of striking distance for the top heavy list you have. Throw in some mid tier schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's fine to keep those schools as reaches, but you need to add more realistic schools on top of them.

Throw in some mid tier schools.

Thank you for your replies. This is the type of feedback I was looking for. Do either of you have any suggestions for some of the mid tier/realistic schools?

Thank you for your replies. This is the type of feedback I was looking for. Do either of you have any suggestions for some of the mid tier/realistic schools?
You should get an MSAR and research schools similar to your stats that also accept a decent amount of OOS students.

St. Louis U, Einstein, Hofstra, Albany, NYMC, Temple, Drexel, Jefferson, TCMC, VCU, VTech, Loyola, Rush, Rosalind Franklin, Tufts, BostonU, USC.

MSAR is your Friend. You have a stellar app otherwise, with your ECs and invovlements.

Also a 34 is the 10% at Stanford , Columbia, Vanderbilt, Duke

Temple, Einstein, Tufts, BostonU, USC, Baylor, Tulane, Emory,

MSAR is your Friend.
You should get an MSAR

Thank you for the information regarding the MSAR. You both saved me a lot of failed applications. I have a new list of schools that I think I'll be more competitive at.

Geisel
U. Virginia
Rochester
Emory
U. Massachusetts
Ohio State U.
Boston U.
Indiana U.
U. Utah
Einstein
Wake Forest
MU
Jefferson
Tufts
St. Louis U

I know I have a few state schools on there, but most of them have at least a 10% OOS interview/applicant ratio. Is this a good idea to apply to those schools? Or should I focus more on private institutions?

Thank you for the information regarding the MSAR. You both saved me a lot of failed applications. I have a new list of schools that I think I'll be more competitive at.

Geisel
U. Virginia
Rochester
Emory
U. Massachusetts
Ohio State U.
Boston U.
Indiana U.
U. Utah
Einstein
Wake Forest
MU
Jefferson
Tufts
St. Louis U

I know I have a few state schools on there, but most of them have at least a 10% OOS interview/applicant ratio. Is this a good idea to apply to those schools? Or should I focus more on private institutions?

This list is much more realistic than your previous list.

Chemguy, yeah I was misinformed when I made the first list. Any chance you could help me out with the state schools question I posted?

Yes the second list is better. Now you can add any of the reaches from the first list if you have the time and money.

Also look into UMiami and Temple.

Reactions: 1 user