Chances? 37S, 3.5 GPA, 3.0 BCPM, URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mexdoc

public health analyst
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice on what my chances are with very low science GPA and high MCAT score? I have taken two years off to work in public health in Latin America and I am hoping that will shift the weight from my low GPA.

I am also applying as a disadvantaged URM, not sure if this helps at all and I went to a Ivy League school.

Do I realistically have a chance at any of the top schools? Thanks for all the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

it's always difficult to predict but I will say that your breakdown (double 13s in the sciences) definitely helps a lot, as it shows mastery of the premed basic sciences. On a side note, I have friends who had similar numbers to yours who have gotten into top schools.

37 on the MCAT, but a 3.0 BCPM. Wtf? I know you went to an Ivy league school but there has to be something else to explain that GPA. Not being a ****, I'm just curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
That low science GPA will definitely hurt you (unless you had a rising trend the last two years after a bad freshman settling-in period), as adcomms want to see evidence you can perform well with upper-level science courses. I hope you are applying to a range of schools, not just "top schools" to improve your chances of receiving an admission somewhere. Your two years of public service work will help get you a more serious look at your application.

Thanks for the advice. In response, I had a difficult first year because I was not used to the caliber and difficulty of the science classes. I also found the MCAT to be easier since the concepts were easier.

Yea you may be hurt somewhat with that gpa, but 1. Your MCAT is stellar, and 2. You're Hispanic. You will be fine as long as you apply to a broad range of schools. CA schools love Hispanic applicants.