Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

MD Chances? 4.0 and 41

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by Sword_Eater, 10.01.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Sword_Eater

Sword_Eater

Pre-Medical
    Hi everyone,

I'm a long-time lurker on SDN, this is my first post :)

I just got my MCAT score yesterday and so I was starting to think of my chances of getting accepted to various med schools. My top schools (as of right now) are Johns, UMich, Pritzker, and WashU.
    Stats:
    4.0 GPA/4.0 sGPA
    41 MCAT (12/15/14)

Now, before a whole bunch of you just tell me "well duh, you have a big chance!" I'd just like to mention that I have always been a "numbers-heavy" student; i.e. in high school I had a 4.0 unweighted GPA and a perfect ACT and I didn't get accepted to my top choices, which were a couple of ivy schools. What I'm really worried about is that my above stats will be good enough to give me an interview but my ECs are not good enough to land me a spot.

So here are my ECs:

Research:
    I've been researching since semester 1 of freshman year; switched labs at the end of freshman summer after a summer fellowship. I'm working towards an honors thesis but I highly doubt that I have anything publishable. I have had a couple of poster presentations though.

Leadership:
    Logistics chair of two student orgs: one a pre-healthy org about providing free medical screenings to uninsured people in our city and the other an org about providing opportunities and support to females in STEM fields.
    Vice-President of a student org I helped start up this year. The org is about increasing collaboration in STEM disciplines and providing a study support network.

Volunteering:
    I have close to 200 hours, 80 of which can be said to be clinical (50 hours hospital volunteering and 30 hours of patient interaction in the medical screenings I help to set up). I'm looking to increase that number this summer (hopefully that's not too late?).

Shadowing:
    This is a weak point, I have only shadowed 15 hours so far. I did a 120-hour intensive internship in high school with an oncologist, I'm not sure if I can count that though since it's in high school.

Work:
    2 semesters of work as a study group leader for organic chemistry (you tutor a group of 10-13 students)
    starting this semester, I'm an Undergraduate Teaching Assistant for Organic Chemistry.

Other:
    I have never gone on one of those overseas pre-med missions; should I consider it?

What do you guys think? What areas of my ECs should I boost to get a better chance at getting into top-tier schools? How many hours of shadowing/volunteering would you recommend? I have one year to make my application pop out but I fear that my ECs are pretty average.

Thanks everyone! :)

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Sword_Eater

Sword_Eater

Pre-Medical
    Also if anyone has any suggestions about my med school list, I would really appreciate it! What would be some good safeties? I'm an Ohio resident.

4. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    I don't recommend "missions."
    All your state schools are safeties.

5. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    Aim high!

6. darklabel

darklabel MS3 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Aim high! Congratulations on those stats.

Go for WashU, Harvard, Yale, Mayo, Pritz, Columbia, Emory, UMich, NYU, Stanford, Johns Hopkins, UPenn, etc.

As Gyngyn said, all the Ohio schools are your safety.

7. Sword_Eater

Sword_Eater

Pre-Medical
    Thanks everyone! What do you think of my ECs; what should I improve before I apply?

About the ads