Chances 43 mcat 3.85gpa weak ecs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crush

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
California resident
Asian

UC System
43 MCAT
3.85 cGPA 3.99sGPA
Biology/Chemistry dual major

~200 hrs hospital volunteer (~4-5hrs/week)
~2 weeks full time shadowing an internist ~80hours
~1.5 year research organic chemist (publication possible) (~30hrs per week or so)
~summer fellowships
~3 year weekly science outreach experience

chances and the type of school i should be looking at for MD or MD/PhD?

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody smart enough to get a 43 on the MCAT would post this. I say troll.

Members don't see this ad :)
troll. you would be smart enough to know your chances...

You should try the Caribbean...maybe DO if you are lucky.

Someone always has to bash on DOs. :(

Someone always has to turn a joke into an MD vs. DO issue. I have nothing but love for DOs... The Caribbean on the other hand.... :naughty:

Your chances are decent, given that you apply very early (I kid, I kid).

Slim chances at DO, try newer schools like ACOM, CUSOM, MUCOM, WCUCOM etc.
Chances okay at SGU, Ross, SABA, and AUC.

Consider SMP?

Don't feed the trolls.

California resident
Asian

UC System
43 MCAT
3.85 cGPA 3.99sGPA

~1.5 year research organic chemist (publication possible) (~30hrs per week or so)
~summer fellowships

Just out of curiousity, exactly which part of your application do you think is weak? The only application I've ever seen that would top this one got a full ride scholarship at WashU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone always has to turn a joke into an MD vs. DO issue. I have nothing but love for DOs... The Caribbean on the other hand.... :naughty:

My life is an MD vs. DO issue at the moment. :love:

Just out of curiousity, exactly which part of your application do you think is weak? The only application I've ever seen that would top this one got a full ride scholarship at WashU.

I think this is a strong application overall, but perhaps too weak for top tier schools. I don't really see anything here that suggests leadership or unique accomplishments in an area/hobby that you're committed to. There's nothing here to really make you stand out except for the 43 MCAT (great job by the way!). That may entice a few schools, but I don't think that's enough to seal the deal. Keep in mind that schools have an abundance of students to choose from with high MCAT/GPA (though obviously the MCATs aren't usually as high as a 43).

I'd apply to the top-top tiers because you could obviously have a shot, but I would seriously consider adding a substantial number of mid-top tier schools. Those stats could possibly net you a scholarship at some of them.

I think this is a strong application overall, but perhaps too weak for top tier schools. I don't really see anything here that suggests leadership or unique accomplishments in an area/hobby that you're committed to. There's nothing here to really make you stand out except for the 43 MCAT (great job by the way!). That may entice a few schools, but I don't think that's enough to seal the deal. Keep in mind that schools have an abundance of students to choose from with high MCAT/GPA (though obviously the MCATs aren't usually as high as a 43).

I'd apply to the top-top tiers because you could obviously have a shot, but I would seriously consider adding a substantial number of mid-top tier schools. Those stats could possibly net you a scholarship at some of them.

I agree with this. If you're interested in top tiers, I think you may need activities that demonstrate leadership or outside interests.

On top of that, it may help to add some more shadowing experience. You have exposure to internal medicine; it may help to have a little bit of shadowing in another field. Or some more hours shadowing in internal medicine.

To a certain extent, you're probably right. If this is really all the OP has on his application, it will probably be among the most boring apps ever written. However, all of boxes have been ticked, and there's a decent amount of research there. I agree that OP has a singularly uninspiring list of ECs, but dat MCAT.

In 2011, 86,161 people took the MCAT. The 99.9th percentile was a 41. That means that about 86 people scored higher than 41 in that entire year. OP scored 43. Scores that high are, I think, rarer than people on SDN seem to think. A 43 likely puts him comfortably in the top 50 applicants in the country in terms of MCAT score.

According to the MSAR, there are about 1500 seats available in the entering classes of the top ten. Most have yields around 50-60%, though as LizzyM pointed out, those yields can be misleading. In any case, the top ten will probably collectively accept at least 2,000 students. Do you really think that with such an extraordinary MCAT, and at least decent ECs, the OP doesn't have at least a reasonable chance of netting at least one of those 2,000 acceptances?

I could very easily be wrong, but I thought I'd pull a few numbers into the discussion anyway.

P.S. - from what I hear, WashU would probably be tripping over themselves to send you an interview invite. I hear high MCAT scores are their thing.

To a certain extent, you're probably right. If this is really all the OP has on his application, it will probably be among the most boring apps ever written. However, all of boxes have been ticked, and there's a decent amount of research there. I agree that OP has a singularly uninspiring list of ECs, but dat MCAT.

In 2011, 86,161 people took the MCAT. The 99.9th percentile was a 41. That means that about 86 people scored higher than 41 in that entire year. OP scored 43. Scores that high are, I think, rarer than people on SDN seem to think. A 43 likely puts him comfortably in the top 50 applicants in the country in terms of MCAT score.

According to the MSAR, there are about 1500 seats available in the entering classes of the top ten. Most have yields around 50-60%, though as LizzyM pointed out, those yields can be misleading. In any case, the top ten will probably collectively accept at least 2,000 students. Do you really think that with such an extraordinary MCAT, and at least decent ECs, the OP doesn't have at least a reasonable chance of netting at least one of those 2,000 acceptances?

I could very easily be wrong, but I thought I'd pull a few numbers into the discussion anyway.

P.S. - from what I hear, WashU would probably be tripping over themselves to send you an interview invite. I hear high MCAT scores are their thing.

WashU is loading the money cannon.

WashU is loading the money cannon.

I have to agree with Narmerguy here - the MCAT score will get you noticed, and the GPA is great too, but those alone aren't enough to get you into a program. Your ECs are good, but definitely have room for improvement.

And wow, does WashU get unfairly treated on SDN or what.

California resident
Asian

UC System
43 MCAT
3.85 cGPA 3.99sGPA

~summer fellowships

To answer your last two questions, I would recommend sticking with MD, unless you really really really want that PhD. You have a decent amount of research (more than I do, at any rate), but from the way you described it, it seems like your research hasn't really produced anything. Do you have any presentations? Do you think you'll have a publication? MD/PhD programmes are looking for truly exceptional researchers, and you'll be competing against a lot of people with multiple publications and presentations. You still have a shot at MD/PhD, but not really at the top programmes.

MD, on the other hand, is better news. Your stats are exceptional, and if you are turned down, it will not be because of your stats. However, it looks like all of your ECs are fairly short term, with the exception of your "science outreach." It would really help if you had something that you kept up with throughout your entire undergrad career, even if it isn't related to medicine. Your application is going to rely more than most on the quality of your written materials, because your ECs will not jump off the page at top schools. Make sure that your personal statement, activity descriptions, recommendations, etc. are all fantastic. Assuming that you were just condensing your ECs above for the sake of brevity and that you have more than four things to put on your app, I would make the following school list recommendations:

Apply to:
- All of the California state schools. (for you, being a CA resident is actually a good thing)
- At least a few upper mid-tier (#25-50, if you use the USNews rankings :rolleyes: )
- Any safety schools that you really like (schools w/ LizzyM scores at least 5 points below yours)
- As many reach schools as you can afford. (This would include all top 10's and possibly the top 20).

If you only want to apply to 10 schools, you should pick (at most) 3 top-tier schools to apply to, and the rest should be closer to "fit" or "safety". If you're willing to apply to more schools, you can add as many reaches as you like. However, you should bear in mind that it can get pretty crazy trying to keep up with 20 applications (not to mention expensive), and you want to give each application your full attention.

A final note on applying to top schools - these schools should be considered reach schools for EVERYONE. The only people who can even call them "fit" schools are the ones with genuinely exceptional applications. If you want to know what those exceptional applications look like, take a look at the MDapps for KDizzle or Narmerguy.

Anyway, just my thoughts, take them for what they are.

If you only want to apply to 10 schools, you should pick (at most) 3 top-tier schools to apply to, and the rest should be closer to "fit" or "safety". If you're willing to apply to more schools, you can add as many reaches as you like. However, you should bear in mind that it can get pretty crazy trying to keep up with 20 applications (not to mention expensive), and you want to give each application your full attention.

A final note on applying to top schools - these schools should be considered reach schools for EVERYONE. The only people who can even call them "fit" schools are the ones with genuinely exceptional applications. If you want to know what those exceptional applications look like, take a look at the MDapps for KDizzle or Narmerguy.

I personally disagree with this. You can't say people like KDizzle who got accepted to every school he applied to but one are the only people who should focus their aps on top-20 schools. I think many applicants end up at top 20s after getting waitlisted/rejected at the majority of those schools. I think this person's ECs are pretty solid and that MCAT score is phenomenal-- probably only ~30 people next year will be in their league. If I were them I would apply to 15 of the top 20 schools and 3-5 schools ranked 20-40.

That being said, though, if this person is really interested in going to a top-5 MD/PhD program it wouldn't hurt to take a gap year focused on research. I think this person still has a great shot at those programs without the gap year, but it never hurts to err on the side of caution.

P.S. Try to have someone in the know (good writer/premed committee) read your personal statement. It would be a shame to pair an eye-popping MCAT score with an off putting/boring personal statement.

I personally disagree with this. You can't say people like KDizzle who got accepted to every school he applied to but one are the only people who should focus their aps on top-20 schools. I think many applicants end up at top 20s after getting waitlisted/rejected at the majority of those schools. I think this person's ECs are pretty solid and that MCAT score is phenomenal-- probably only ~30 people next year will be in their league. If I were them I would apply to 15 of the top 20 schools and 3-5 schools ranked 20-40.

That being said, though, if this person is really interested in going to a top-5 MD/PhD program it wouldn't hurt to take a gap year focused on research. I think this person still has a great shot at those programs without the gap year, but it never hurts to err on the side of caution.

P.S. Try to have someone in the know (good writer/premed committee) read your personal statement. It would be a shame to pair an eye-popping MCAT score with an off putting/boring personal statement.

Please read post #18

Please read post #18

? I did. Are you worried my post was redundant?

The gist of post 18 is that there are very few people with ops MCAT score in the country and that likely means op can get into a top 10 school. Then in post 21 you suggest op focus on mid-tiers if he wants to apply to only 10 schools. My point is that I think post 18 is correct, so regardless of how many schools op applies to, his application should be focused on top-20 schools. Op will be wasting his time and money if he applies to more than 3 schools outside the top 20 (unless he is genuinely interested in those schools).

Just looked at his MDApps... :whoa:

Talk about discouraging...

Figure out first how serious you are about MD/PhD...even with substantial research + good LOR from your PI, the lack of any current publications will hurt you when it comes to applying to top-ranked MD/PhD programs (I'm using "top" loosely here since all MSTP pograms are competitive, but let's say the MSTP programs for the top ~20 research schools).

There are two possibilities here (if you're set on MD/PhD):
  1. Apply broadly, and pay more attention to the rankings of your desired PhD program than the associated med program
  2. Apply only to top MD/PhD programs, and if you don't get in, do at least one more year of full research and hope for publication(s) to bolster your application for the next year

Figure out first how serious you are about MD/PhD...even with substantial research + good LOR from your PI, the lack of any current publications will hurt you when it comes to applying to top-ranked MD/PhD programs (I'm using "top" loosely here since all MSTP pograms are competitive, but let's say the MSTP programs for the top ~20 research schools).

Meh, not so much. I'm graduating from a top-20 MD/PhD program and have been an interviewer for them for the past 5 years--applicants with publications are the exception rather than the rule.

Assuming good research letters, the OP would be a very competitive applicant to any MD/PhD program. Would need to hear more about motivations and carrier goals to advise whether it would be an appropriate path for him though.

? I did. Are you worried my post was redundant?

The gist of post 18 is that there are very few people with ops MCAT score in the country and that likely means op can get into a top 10 school. Then in post 21 you suggest op focus on mid-tiers if he wants to apply to only 10 schools. My point is that I think post 18 is correct, so regardless of how many schools op applies to, his application should be focused on top-20 schools. Op will be wasting his time and money if he applies to more than 3 schools outside the top 20 (unless he is genuinely interested in those schools).

No, just that we seem to be in agreement. In #21, I was mostly saying that the OP should apply to a lot of top schools, but that if he was only going to apply to 10 schools, he should be very careful about a top-heavy application.