MD chances? 506 mcat, 3.8 cGPA and sGPA...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ckarasch0110

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just curious of my chances at my in state school (University of Minnesota - Twin Cities)
25 on the old mcat, 506 on the new mcat
3.8 sGPA and cGPA
3.5 years of part time research in undergrad - co-author publication in Molecular Cancer journal
100 hours volunteering
~1.5 years full time scribe experience in ophthalmology, cardiology, internal medicine, and the emergency department.
- 25 hours shadowing ortho in the OR
questionable URM status? - Grandmother was an immigrant from Panama

+ a few other miscellaneous things!

Any insight would be helpful, I'm strongly pulling for this school but I'm worried my mcat will be limiting.

Members don't see this ad.

Certainly possible, but like the whole admissions process in general nothing is guaranteed. Your GPA, EC's and improved MCAT shouldn't keep you out. Secondary responses and interview skills can make the difference.

I'm certainly not the authority on this matter, but if your URM status is questionable to you, going URM is probably not the way.

You aren't a URM. Assume your MCAT is around a 29. Apply broadly to lower tiers. The re-take will complicate things but you still have a shot at getting some II's at lower tiers if you apply broadly.

Don't get attached to any one school. Like you said the MCAT is low for the state school. With that MCAT if you're gunning for the MD 20 schools or so is probably what you should be targeting applying to.

Members don't see this ad :)
You aren't a URM. Assume your MCAT is around a 29. Apply broadly to lower tiers. The re-take will complicate things but you still have a shot at getting some II's at lower tiers if you apply broadly.

Don't get attached to any one school. Like you said the MCAT is low for the state school. With that MCAT if you're gunning for the MD 20 schools or so is probably what you should be targeting applying to.
MCAT is a retake though.

I am not optimistic about MD chances with 25, 506, and no special ECs.

You are not URM, as mentioned above.

MCAT is a retake though.

I am not optimistic about MD chances with 25, 506, and no special ECs.

You are not URM, as mentioned above.

Minnesota isn't the luckiest of states but I still think OP has a chance at a couple II's with a broad list. The retaken MCAT is a problem but I don't think it's necessairly lethal(and for all the talk on this site about how re-take policies aren't what schools say they are and believe me I am the first person to remind people there are still definitely schools that legitimately will look at your highest score and not give very much thought to the older one). Key word is broad list(over 20 lower tiers). Like you said though this is hardly a sure thing; more a 50-50 proposition. Scribing and research will help; the lack of real volunteering can also come up as an issue.

You need to apply to DO's. Pick at least a half dozen.

Reactions: 1 user