Chances/ Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tom381

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, like many people on here, I was hoping to get some advice about my chances for med school.

To start off, my overall GPA is a 3.2 and my science GPA is a 2.9. I took the MCAT in July and scored a 35Q

My situation is that during my junior year, due to personal reasons, I failed three science courses (Ochem 1 and Evolutionary Bio, and received a D in Intro Bio). I recently graduated with a degree in Political Science and have re-taken my pre-med classes at Comm College while doing research. After that horrendous year, I've gotten A's in all my science courses (including my re-taken courses).
I have very strong ECs with great letters of rec from my profs and doctors.
I know I have good chances at DO, as they replace the old grades with the new ones. But I was wondering if I had any chance at MD schools? Any advice would be helpful. I've also started to consider the Caribbean, would that route be worth it? Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

If you have strong ECs and great letters why not just give it a try. Although, you would certainly have more luck applying earlier in the cycle.

Yeah, my plan was to continue to do research then apply at the beginning of the next application cycle for Fall 2010.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you live in California? If not and you have a friendly instate school, I'd say you have a pretty good shot.

Last edited:
No, I currently live in Wisconsin, but my primary residence is in Michigan. Yeah, I'm hoping to talk to someone at schools here and in Michigan, but as they are quite busy now, they are taking very long to respond.

I'm sure you have heard all of this already, but the Caribbean is a very heavy risk / reward type of thing.

#1 - The school is not accredited and/or it loses its accreditation when you are in the program, so you could put 3 years in and then not be able to graduate.

#2 - You can't pass the USMLE (Caribbean schools have a SIGNIFICANTLY lower passing rate for all 3 steps.

#3 - A lot of money wagered against #1 and #2.

But yes, many great doctors come from caribbean schools and lead full practices and live the dream...

I've seen people with similar MCAT/GPA trends get into Wayne State, its a good school (I'm a Mich resident too). Michigan State is a good shot too. Applying early is the key, hit the Wisconsin and Ohio schools for sure. DO schools are definitely a better option that the carib. Carib schools are for profit. It costs more to get kids into clinical rotations than to sit them in a lecture hall. It's in their best interest for you to give them your money and drop.

another option to consider doing a "special masters program" (ie. Georgetown, Boston U). these programs are made for people with low gpa and good to great mcat scores. there is a lot of information about it in the postbaccalaureate forum. it is a high risk, but high payout.