Chances after failing out of nursing school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OhGr8Poop4Dinner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was enrolled over the past year-and-a-half in a local nursing program; to make a long story short, I failed a course (earned an "F," not a "D"), did not re-take the course, and am basically out of the program. The reason I did not re-take the course was because I was actually enrolled at a satellite clinic, and it was announced during the semester I failed that the satellite course would not be matriculating any new nursing student cohorts -- hence, the class I failed was never to be offered again. The satellite campus has since been shuttered.

My background is somewhat complicated (or pathetic -- take your pick of adjectives). I originally earned a Bio degree about 4.5 years ago with the intention of going to medical school, then changed paths and decided to become a CRNA. However, I really do not enjoy "basic" nursing, and I think that had something to do with my failing in nursing school.

I have considered attending a local nursing program that is only 3 semesters long and from which I would graduate next December, just to show that I *am* intellectually capable of starting & finishing nursing school. However, if I were to study for and take the MCAT and apply to DO programs that have, for example, Feb. 1st application deadlines, would I have much of a chance at all of even receiving interview invites? Is there a broad perception shared among admissions committees that if an applicant started and failed to finish another health professions program, then they're automatically black-listed?

After earning the "F," my overall GPA is right at a 3.5. Here are my grades in the usual pre-requisite courses:

Bio 1 -- A
Bio 2 -- A
Gen Chem 1 -- A (B in lab)
Gen Chem 2 -- B (A in lab)
Org Chem 1 -- B (B in lab)
Org Chem 2 -- B (A in lab)
Physics 1 -- B (B in lab)
Physics 2 -- A (A in lab)
Biochemistry -- A (did not take lab)
A&P 1 -- B (currently re-taking and likely to make an A)
A&P 2 -- A

I have not yet taken the MCAT. Also, it's been a while since I participated in extracurricular activities, most of which I was involved with back when I was pursuing my Bio degree (I graduated in late 2010).

So, what do you guys think about my chances of getting accepted to any DO programs? Is there any hope at all, or is the combination of failing out of nursing school and not having any recent extracurriculars too egregious of a detractor that will likely prohibit me from receiving any interview invites?

Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I personally think you need recent extracurriculars and would restart them asap. Don't bother applying this cycle and try to possibly aim for the next one. I think failing out of nursing school is a pretty big red flag but might be able to be repaired. I would not enroll in nursing school and perhaps take a post bac to show you can handle hard science. If asked I would say you failed since you were unhappy and and were not focusing on studying due to this, and that you are definitely prepared to handle the rigors of medical school. You definitely have a fair amount of work to do but I don't think your one red flag will be a complete app killer if everything else looks good.

Just read your edit: Again I don't feel your ready to apply for med school at this point, even for DO. DO and MD schools look for the exact same things. The only difference is they are okay with slightly lower stats. However you still have the issue of nearly 4 year old experiences, and a major red flag of failing without showing you can handle science again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
100% agree. OP, I see two many red flags. How do we know that you won't change your mind again? I want to see dedication and consistency.

I personally think you need recent extracurriculars and would restart them asap. Don't bother applying this cycle and try to possibly aim for the next one. I think failing out of nursing school is a pretty big red flag but might be able to be repaired. I would not enroll in nursing school and perhaps take a post bac to show you can handle hard science. If asked I would say you failed since you were unhappy and and were not focusing on studying due to this, and that you are definitely prepared to handle the rigors of medical school. You definitely have a fair amount of work to do but I don't think your one red flag will be a complete app killer if everything else looks good.

Just read your edit: Again I don't feel your ready to apply for med school at this point, even for DO. DO and MD schools look for the exact same things. The only difference is they are okay with slightly lower stats. However you still have the issue of nearly 4 year old experiences, and a major red flag of failing without showing you can handle science again.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, this thread is amazing.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I edited my post because I forgot to mention that I was planning to apply to DO programs probably exclusively. I'll definitely be getting on with the extracurriculars, as well as with studying for the MCAT.

Just giving this thread a quick bump. Since I forgot to mention this originally (but later added it in) to my original post, I plan to focus primarily on applying to DO schools. Serious question here: with RVU being a "for-profit" program, do you think they'd be less likely to frown upon me not having much EC experience?

I was enrolled over the past year-and-a-half in a local nursing program; to make a long story short, I failed a course (earned an "F," not a "D"), did not re-take the course, and am basically out of the program. The reason I did not re-take the course was because I was actually enrolled at a satellite clinic, and it was announced during the semester I failed that the satellite course would not be matriculating any new nursing student cohorts -- hence, the class I failed was never to be offered again. The satellite campus has since been shuttered.

My background is somewhat complicated (or pathetic -- take your pick of adjectives). I originally earned a Bio degree about 4.5 years ago with the intention of going to medical school, then changed paths and decided to become a CRNA. However, I really do not enjoy "basic" nursing, and I think that had something to do with my failing in nursing school.

I have considered attending a local nursing program that is only 3 semesters long and from which I would graduate next December, just to show that I *am* intellectually capable of starting & finishing nursing school. However, if I were to study for and take the MCAT and apply to DO programs that have, for example, Feb. 1st application deadlines, would I have much of a chance at all of even receiving interview invites? Is there a broad perception shared among admissions committees that if an applicant started and failed to finish another health professions program, then they're automatically black-listed?

After earning the "F," my overall GPA is right at a 3.5. Here are my grades in the usual pre-requisite courses:

Bio 1 -- A
Bio 2 -- A
Gen Chem 1 -- A (B in lab)
Gen Chem 2 -- B (A in lab)
Org Chem 1 -- B (B in lab)
Org Chem 2 -- B (A in lab)
Physics 1 -- B (B in lab)
Physics 2 -- A (A in lab)
Biochemistry -- A (did not take lab)
A&P 1 -- B (currently re-taking and likely to make an A)
A&P 2 -- A

I have not yet taken the MCAT. Also, it's been a while since I participated in extracurricular activities, most of which I was involved with back when I was pursuing my Bio degree (I graduated in late 2010).

So, what do you guys think about my chances of getting accepted to any DO programs? Is there any hope at all, or is the combination of failing out of nursing school and not having any recent extracurriculars too egregious of a detractor that will likely prohibit me from receiving any interview invites?

Thanks...

I am in the same boat. I have a 3.08 GPA with nursing courses. Without the nursing courses I currently have between a 3.2 to a 3.3. I took all of my premedical courses in a community college. I am debating to choose the PA route or the MD/DO route. I plan to take a year or two off to see what I would need to do. I want to be a lot more prepared.

Last edited:
I am in the same boat. I have a 3.08 GPA with nursing courses. Without the nursing courses I currently have between a 3.2 to a 3.3. I took all of my premedical courses in a community college. I am debating to choose the PA route or the MD/DO route. I plan to take a year or two off to see what I would need to do. I want to be a lot more prepared.

Correction, around 3.10 to 3.30. I believe my sGPA is around 3.23.