myPrecious!!!

2+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2017
ORM (South Asian), 3.756 cGPA, 3.751 sGPA
Realistic estimate by graduation (3.78-3.8 cGPA)
MCAT: 514(129, 126, 130, 129), just got this.
CA resident and ties to FL (graduated from high school there)

I'll be applying next cycle and I have time to improve any weaknesses in my application. I also have an option to graduate a semester early to buy me more time if needed to strengthen my application, but staying another semester would mean that I'll be able to double my Mol. Cell Bio major with Stats both of which I love.

Recommendation Letters:
3 from a science professor, 1 from my supervisor, and 1 from my stats professor (maybe).
I could probably get one from a PI whom I worked under for a research.

Experiences:
* Work as Web assistant for 2 years now and plan on continuing for this year - I do web design, print design, design consulting, web communications and migrations. (promoted once)
* 1 semester of research in Public Health/Policy field - it was just an apprenticeship
* Volunteered as a tutor in a local church school for 40 hours over a semester
* I will be staring in a hospice and currently in my training. I plan on doing this for well over a year and I'll be committing 4-5 hours per week
* I will also be starting to volunteer at a
* I have shadowed 1 family physician for about 7 hours and will be shadowing more doctors as I get time
* Couple dean's honors and honor's list

No publications, presentations or summer internships. I worked over summer at the same place and traveled.

Do you guys think I have a shot here given that I will be working to up my ECs?
And Do you guys think I should just graduate early to get more time to up ECs?

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
I suggest these schools with your stats:
The UC's
Arizona (Phoenix and Tucson)
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
West Virginia
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Cincinnati
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
any new schools that open for 2019 (Kaiser, Roseman, NOVA MD, Seton Hall)
Try to accumulate 50 hours of shadowing and 200 hours of clinical volunteering (hospice is fine).

OP
M

myPrecious!!!

2+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2017
I suggest these schools with your stats:
The UC's
Arizona (Phoenix and Tucson)
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
West Virginia
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Cincinnati
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
any new schools that open for 2019 (Kaiser, Roseman, NOVA MD, Seton Hall)
Try to accumulate 50 hours of shadowing and 200 hours of clinical volunteering (hospice is fine).
That's great. Thank you for taking the time to generate a school list.
Do you think I need some research given that I have so little?

About the Ads

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
The clinical volunteering and shadowing hours are more important than research.

OP
M

myPrecious!!!

2+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2017
The clinical volunteering and shadowing hours are more important than research.
I see, I have another question.

Do you recommend that I graduate a semester early and use my second semester to work more on clinical stuff, or stay in college to finish my second major while working on clinical aspects of the application?

With regards to graduating early, I will be able to get competitive hours in volunteering (200+) and shadowing (~100)
and if I stay I'll still able to do them but my hours are going to be less.

I was going to graduate early if my MCAT didn't go well to give myself more time to study. I just want your opinion as in what would you do if you were me

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
It is a difficult choice and either one is fine. With your Florida connection you could also try Central Florida, Florida International, USF and Miami.

Sep 25, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Please help!!
I am in my Junior year of my Undergraduate Career at the University of Iowa. I have a University of Iowa cGPA of 3.31 and an overall GPA including some college credits from high school of 3.55. I have 4 years experience as an EMT and 1-year experience as a Paramedic. I am involved on campus as being the President of a student organization, I will have 2-3 years of research under my belt, and I also volunteer regularly. I have not taken my MCAT yet, but I will take it this May. I am wondering what my chances of getting accepted into an MD program are and I would also like to narrow my search for Medical schools. I am starting to worry about my GPA, and just would like some general advice. I have done lots for my resume over the years, but my GPA has dropped and I am concerned. Any help is appreciated!!

OP
M

myPrecious!!!

2+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2017
Please help!!
I am in my Junior year of my Undergraduate Career at the University of Iowa. I have a University of Iowa cGPA of 3.31 and an overall GPA including some college credits from high school of 3.55. I have 4 years experience as an EMT and 1-year experience as a Paramedic. I am involved on campus as being the President of a student organization, I will have 2-3 years of research under my belt, and I also volunteer regularly. I have not taken my MCAT yet, but I will take it this May. I am wondering what my chances of getting accepted into an MD program are and I would also like to narrow my search for Medical schools. I am starting to worry about my GPA, and just would like some general advice. I have done lots for my resume over the years, but my GPA has dropped and I am concerned. Any help is appreciated!!
If you are planning on narrowing down your search I would say do that first and see where you stand for those schools. You also need your MCAT to make any further decisions, so just take the MCAT. From there you can see if you'll fine where you are now or if you need a post-bac.

About the Ads