Nov 21, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey, Im currently a first semester Freshman at BU. I have quite some worries about my path right now and need some advice.

I am taking gen chem right now, but it sorta messed me up. I talked to my teacher and he said That he sees me in the C C+ range if i continue my path, but if i start putting more effort in, he sees me coming into the B- to even a B+ range. I've been busting my ass ever since haha.

I just registered for classes, but over here its really messed up, I guess I would either have to sacrifice my second semester gen chem for my honors bio course, or not take any biology at all freshman year. I feel like that might hurt my chances of med school in the future because 1 year of bio is considered a pre req. I'm also considering transferring out of here because I don't feel like the premed course and advising here is strong. I'm considering going to a SUNY school or Syracuse.

P.S. I also know that for the most part there is always a plan B, such as going to the Carrib. for med school or something.

Pretty much, my questions here are:

If I end up not doing well first semester of Gen Chem, how will Med schools react (Personal experience would be appreciated)

How Will Med schools look at not taking gen bio and instead going into Cell? (My AP score was a 5 in bio, so its a possibility to credit gen bio, but ik MD Schools don't like that)

How will transferring affect Med Schools that look into my application?

What are the pros and cons of a Carrib. Med school compared to a U.S. Med school if I plan on practicing in the US? (Experience would also be appreciated)

Thanks alot for taking your time to help me with this. A lot of people I have talked to say its only first semester, and i have 3.5 years to pull off great grades if I apply myself, but I want to hear something from people with experience.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
What are the pros and cons of a Carrib. Med school compared to a U.S. Med school if I plan on practicing in the US? (Experience would also be appreciated)
You might check out SDN's International Medicine>Caribbean Forum for detailed information on this subject.