Chances and Advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Colorado1989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have been told by MANY people including my pre health committee that I am a good candidate to apply for DO schools for 2014 matriculation, but I am STILL stressing about it.

I have an overall GPA of 3.5 sGPA 3.3 - As or Bs in all pre-reqs

I have great clinical experience, volunteer work, teaching assistant work and great LORs.

I think I am stressed because I have not taken the MCATs yet. I have taken full lengths and keep scoring 22-23 which I am not very pleased with whatsoever- I am supposed to take them in 3 weeks, but maybe I should hold off until I am more prepared and have actually had time to study.

What are my chances of getting into a DO program from all of your experiences/knowledge? I am looking at Rocky Vista, AT Still and Arizona. But of course, I will apply to MANY schools.

Please give me advice!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So, I have been told by MANY people including my pre health committee that I am a good candidate to apply for DO schools for 2014 matriculation, but I am STILL stressing about it.

I have great clinical experience, volunteer work, teaching assistant work and great LORs.

I think I am stressed because I have not taken the MCATs yet. I have taken full lengths and keep scoring 22-23 which I am not very pleased with whatsoever- I am supposed to take them in 3 weeks, but maybe I should hold off until I am more prepared and have actually had time to study.

What are my chances of getting into a DO program from all of your experiences/knowledge? I am looking at Rocky Vista, AT Still and Arizona. But of course, I will apply to MANY schools.

Please give me advice!

Thanks!

If you are not consistently scoring around your target score on practice tests I suggest you postpone your exam a bit.

Focus on why you aren't scoring as well as you know you can. Do you need to beef up your content review? Do you need to work on critical thinking? How can you improve/change your study strategy?

Sent from my Galaxy S2

I would take some more time and prep for the mcat. I don't see any reason for you to be taking it before May. Don't want to be a bummer, but my friends and I all did a point or two worse than our most recent practice tests.

That being said, it sounds like you have a solid application and are planning to apply early and broadly which goes a long way. I think if you get a 25 you will get in somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are not consistently scoring around your target score on practice tests I suggest you postpone your exam a bit.

Focus on why you aren't scoring as well as you know you can. Do you need to beef up your content review? Do you need to work on critical thinking? How can you improve/change your study strategy?

Sent from my Galaxy S2

I agree. Even though my first practice test was a 26 and my scores climbed into the 27 and 28 range after a couple months of studying, I wound up with a 26 on the real thing. It's not always true, but it seems many score one or two points below their average practice score.

Please give me advice!

Thanks!

Postpone.

Thanks guys. I appreciate it! I will study the nest few weeks and see what i come up with. if by a few days before I am not pleased with my results I will postpone!

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I appreciate it! I will study the nest few weeks and see what i come up with. if by a few days before I am not pleased with my results I will postpone!

If your scores somehow go up in the next few days, all that means is you did topics in which you have strong content mastery. Scores do not increase consistently after only a few days.

I agree with MedPR.

Don't rush yourself and DO NOT take any AAMC FL's yet. Master the material first. You still have plenty of time till the application cycle.

Please give me advice!

Thanks!

With 3 weeks until my MCAT, my scores significantly increased and consistently as well. If you don't feel comfortable maybe a week before, that's when I would postpone. Just wait until the last minute before you postpone because you could start hitting your stride and let that decide what you do. RVU has been odd. This cycle has seen people with 3.5+ and 29+ get rejected outright.

With 3 weeks until my MCAT, my scores significantly increased and consistently as well. If you don't feel comfortable maybe a week before, that's when I would postpone. Just wait until the last minute before you postpone because you could start hitting your stride and let that decide what you do. RVU has been odd. This cycle has seen people with 3.5+ and 29+ get rejected outright.

I have been told that schools are putting a larger emphasis on clinical experience. Which is why ive been working as an MA for the past year. Maybe that's why. But that's why I also plan on applying early. A lot of schools are on rolling admissions. I like your advice, I feel like I've made huge strides over the past 2 weeks in my content knowledge. I took a FL last week got a 9 in PS but did low in VR so it seems to do that more often than not. But I think I'd be able to improve if I study hard the next 3 weeks. I know the subjects that seem to kill me in the test so I plan in working on those too.

I have been told that schools are putting a larger emphasis on clinical experience. Which is why ive been working as an MA for the past year. Maybe that's why. But that's why I also plan on applying early. A lot of schools are on rolling admissions. I like your advice, I feel like I've made huge strides over the past 2 weeks in my content knowledge. I took a FL last week got a 9 in PS but did low in VR so it seems to do that more often than not. But I think I'd be able to improve if I study hard the next 3 weeks. I know the subjects that seem to kill me in the test so I plan in working on those too.

My strategy for verbal: pray. I decided to focus on the other two sections and did not study at all for verbal and it still managed to increase on all sections simply because reading abilities are not going to change over a short period of time. This may not work for you, but I think it's better for your overall to focus on the other two sections.

My strategy for verbal: pray. I decided to focus on the other two sections and did not study at all for verbal and it still managed to increase on all sections simply because reading abilities are not going to change over a short period of time. This may not work for you, but I think it's better for your overall to focus on the other two sections.

You're brilliant. And absolutely right. It's a hit or miss with verbal. I've scored anywhere from a 6-9 and it all depends on the passages. It's funny I get 90-100% of the natural science passage questions right and maybe 60% of the others. The passages are boring.

Verbal shouldn't be hit or miss.

Members don't see this ad :)

I believe it can be a hit or miss. There are PLENTY of passages that are harder than others. And for ME PERSONALLY, if it is a passage that I enjoy reading, I do better whereas if it isn't, I do worse and I bet that holds true for many people.

It shouldn't be when you are good at speed reading and comprehension, but for others that aren't, all they (we) can do is hope that the passage is intriguing and that they get into a 'zone' where the comprehension just happens. People that suck at verbal can sympathize with me. I guess you can train that ability and maybe that is the key to being a better reader. I used to train myself by sitting in busy coffee shops and just reading bland articles. Before I would start each study session, I would do this with articles from the economist and other nonscience articles. It helped with the length of time it would take for me to finally get into that concentrating state. Sounds ridiculous, but only people that suck at verbal will understand.

I believe it can be a hit or miss. There are PLENTY of passages that are harder than others. And for ME PERSONALLY, if it is a passage that I enjoy reading, I do better whereas if it isn't, I do worse and I bet that holds true for many people.

Yup, I'm sure it does hold true for many people. You're new to SDN, and not familiar with my posts, so I'll just preface this by saying try not to get offended.

Many (most) people get low scores too, so you really shouldn't be comforted by your statement unless you'll be happy with a bad score. If you want to do well, you have to stop making excuses and accommodations for your weaknesses.

It shouldn't be when you are good at speed reading and comprehension, but for others that aren't, all they (we) can do is hope that the passage is intriguing and that they get into a 'zone' where the comprehension just happens. People that suck at verbal can sympathize with me. I guess you can train that ability and maybe that is the key to being a better reader. I used to train myself by sitting in busy coffee shops and just reading bland articles. Before I would start each study session, I would do this with articles from the economist and other nonscience articles. It helped with the length of time it would take for me to finally get into that concentrating state. Sounds ridiculous, but only people that suck at verbal will understand.

I'm a slow reader and if you aren't good at reading comprehension you won't do well on any section of the MCAT. See my previous post; particularly the part about excuses.

I will never resign myself to thinking/being unable to improve on something.

Yup, I'm sure it does hold true for many people. You're new to SDN, and not familiar with my posts, so I'll just preface this by saying try not to get offended.

Many (most) people get low scores too, so you really shouldn't be comforted by your statement unless you'll be happy with a bad score. If you want to do well, you have to stop making excuses and accommodations for your weaknesses.

You are ABSOLUTELY right. And I should not make excuses, and I am not trying to. My weakness IS verbal. And I do not really find comfort in my statement - I would just focus on the sections that I have a better chance at improving my score. You won't offend me. I'd rather hear the truth and someone be honest than someone tell me to apply and i will be fine, because I know that is not the truth with a low MCAT score.

Backside attack - that is actually a great idea. I should start doing that. Thanks!

I'm a slow reader and if you aren't good at reading comprehension you won't do well on any section of the MCAT. See my previous post; particularly the part about excuses.

I will never resign myself to thinking/being unable to improve on something.

Oh, I am certainly not saying that I cannot improve, but you should know that reading comprehension is a slow process. Since taking my MCAT I have taken up extensive reading just because I know that is the one area that I am lacking. In a short period of time, you can do as I stated and train yourself to become quicker getting into that mindset and training yourself to focus for longer periods of time. The exam material itself is very easy, it is just hard to train yourself to stay intensely focused for so long.

Oh, I am certainly not saying that I cannot improve, but you should know that reading comprehension is a slow process. Since taking my MCAT I have taken up extensive reading just because I know that is the one area that I am lacking. In a short period of time, you can do as I stated and train yourself to become quicker getting into that mindset and training yourself to focus for longer periods of time. The exam material itself is very easy, it is just hard to train yourself to stay intensely focused for so long.

It is SO hard to stay focused! Haha by the time I am half way through BS I finish with at least 10 minutes to spare I am so brain dead that i don't check my answers. But I NEED to start checking them because half the time I make a mistake, i go back and i realize I made a dumb mistake. The material is not that hard - it's the time that is hard too. I have a hard time finishing VR in time.

It is SO hard to stay focused! Haha by the time I am half way through BS I finish with at least 10 minutes to spare I am so brain dead that i don't check my answers. But I NEED to start checking them because half the time I make a mistake, i go back and i realize I made a dumb mistake. The material is not that hard - it's the time that is hard too. I have a hard time finishing VR in time.

Idk if this was one of your issues, but see if you can find short critical thinking and reasoning questions. Ones with maybe a short paragraph or a couple sentences as the passage, and still have multiple choice. I would be unable to answer a question because I thought a couple answers were correct, but when I went back and checked my answers, right or wrong, I would find that I would overthink and instead of choosing the correct answer that was stated in the passage, I would choose something that was somewhat inductive. Sorry if this doesn't make sense.

Idk if this was one of your issues, but see if you can find short critical thinking and reasoning questions. Ones with maybe a short paragraph or a couple sentences as the passage, and still have multiple choice. I would be unable to answer a question because I thought a couple answers were correct, but when I went back and checked my answers, right or wrong, I would find that I would overthink and instead of choosing the correct answer that was stated in the passage, I would choose something that was somewhat inductive. Sorry if this doesn't make sense.

I totally do that. All the time. I just checked my answers on a section test and I did that at least 3 times. I do read too much into it.

Verbal isn't so much hit or miss as it is hard to improve your comprehension skills over such a short span of time. There's nothing for you to memorize, and not really any concrete concepts to grasp. Verbal was almost always my best section in practices, and it reflected in my final score. But English was my best subject for quite a few years, so the background was already there.

re: postponement, how well are you replicating test conditions when you take FLs? I ask because I was scoring in the 21-24 range in the week leading up to my exam, and I almost voided. but I did a horrible job of replicating the test environment and had a TON of distractions around me. my final score was much higher than my practice scores.

Verbal isn't so much hit or miss as it is hard to improve your comprehension skills over such a short span of time. There's nothing for you to memorize, and not really any concrete concepts to grasp. Verbal was almost always my best section in practices, and it reflected in my final score. But English was my best subject for quite a few years, so the background was already there.

re: postponement, how well are you replicating test conditions when you take FLs? I ask because I was scoring in the 21-24 range in the week leading up to my exam, and I almost voided. but I did a horrible job of replicating the test environment and had a TON of distractions around me. my final score was much higher than my practice scores.

Yeah, I have not done a great job of replicating testing environment either.... I think I will just take the damn test. I am sure I will do fine. I've been scoring better and better. If I don't do well then I will just take time off work and study and take the test again. I haven't had as much time to study as i would like.

Yeah, I have not done a great job of replicating testing environment either.... I think I will just take the damn test. I am sure I will do fine. I've been scoring better and better. If I don't do well then I will just take time off work and study and take the test again. I haven't had as much time to study as i would like.

Then don't take it.

Ohhh you're REALLY encouraging. I love it.

He's realistic. There is no good justification to take the MCAT more than once, except perhaps dire circumstances the week of the test. If you are not ready, reschedule and take it when you are ready. You can ignore the wisdom of the forum, but I guarantee you that it has gotten more people into medical school than you have.

I dunno man, you know yourself better than we do. I didn't go into panic mode until a few days before the test, so I had two choices: go in and take it and see how I feel when the void question comes up, or lose the fee regardless.

If you still have enough time to recoup your fee, maybe you should postpone. If not, there's no reason for you not to prep hard, go in, take it, and then if you feel shaky, void. At least then you get a feel for how test day is supposed to go. I did take a Kaplan classroom course, but I dunno how much I got out of it because I struggled to keep up while I had other classes. I also crammed down using their books for the month between finals and the big test. Which one was more helpful? Hard to say. Also, I'm n=1 so keep that in mind.

He's realistic. There is no good justification to take the MCAT more than once, except perhaps dire circumstances the week of the test. If you are not ready, reschedule and take it when you are ready. You can ignore the wisdom of the forum, but I guarantee you that it has gotten more people into medical school than you have.

I know he's realistic and I appreciate it. And I hope this forum has gotten more people into med school than I have it would be sad if not. I never said I was ignoring the wisdom. I asked for advice and I appreciate it.

You shouldn't just not prepare for one section. If you are ranging from 6-9, you could potentially get a 5 or 6 on verbal and that could keep you out of schools even if you have 10's in the other sections (which would also not be very likely if you are consistently getting 22-23 on the FLs).

I'm going to have to agree with MedPR here. I am a very slow reader, and time management was the only way I could work through the whole section. On the actual test, verbal was also longer than all the FLs I had taken. You have to keep working on it until you are consistently scoring within your target. You should never just forget about working on one section.

For the first half of my FLs I was scoring anywhere between 7 and 10, mainly because I wouldn't end up finishing the last passage. Once I found the right strategy for me to finish everything, I was consistently scoring from 10-12. Its too risky just leaving it up to doing well on the other sections, because a 5 on verbal could keep you below the cutoffs.

You are ABSOLUTELY right. And I should not make excuses, and I am not trying to. My weakness IS verbal. And I do not really find comfort in my statement - I would just focus on the sections that I have a better chance at improving my score. You won't offend me. I'd rather hear the truth and someone be honest than someone tell me to apply and i will be fine, because I know that is not the truth with a low MCAT score.

Backside attack - that is actually a great idea. I should start doing that. Thanks!

You should NOT settle for anything when it comes to the MCAT. When you take it, it should either be the best you can do or at very least what you're happy with (meaning a score in your target range). There is no point taking the MCAT early, just to retake it when you get a lower grade. Practice and study ALL of the sections and when you are consistently getting even above your target, only then take the test. I ended up getting a point below my lowest FL score on the actual thing (3 points below my average), so you should not just hope you do better on the real thing.

Again, DO NOT rush this. DO NOT plan to do poorly and just retake it. Your first shot should really be your best shot. You shouldn't plan to do "ok" or "not so great", you should be planning to get your best possible score. Sure you can have as a comfort the possibility of retaking, but one good score is MUCH better than a bad score and a good one.

Do the thing 90% of the people in this thread are telling you and postpone until you are consistently at least averaging in your target range (26-28 at least). Its a mistake to just hope you'll do well, especially with FL averages consistently around 22-23. I know someone that had a similar FL range, and for some reason still took the test only to get 19 or 20.

Take it in April, schedule a retake in late May/early June, then continue studying through May and if you don't do well enough when you get the score a month later, take it again. It shouldn't delay you too much, and you'd be much better off having those extra few weeks of studying and practicing.

Yes, I will likely postpone, but I also like the advice of going in and taking it and "voiding" it if I don't feel I did very well. But as stubborn as I may be, I think postponing would be the best option. I just want to be done by the time July is around to apply early.

So, if 24 is low for DO schools, why are half the school averages around 24-25? and GPAs seem to be pretty low too about 3.4... Given this average you'd thing there were scores in the teens along with upper twenties.

Yes, I will likely postpone, but I also like the advice of going in and taking it and "voiding" it if I don't feel I did very well. But as stubborn as I may be, I think postponing would be the best option. I just want to be done by the time July is around to apply early.

So, if 24 is low for DO schools, why are half the school averages around 24-25? and GPAs seem to be pretty low too about 3.4... Given this average you'd thing there were scores in the teens along with upper twenties.

my only advice here is that I don't know if you'll be able to get a great feel for how you did on the MCAT the moment after you took it.

Voiding is good for an unexpected problem that comes up or knowing you just bombed it because of a migraine, seizure...what have you. Ive just heard so many people come out of the MCAT thinking they did horribly, and did fine. And Im sure the reverse has happened as well.

I'd support the idea of postponing if you are not feeling ready. Get ready and take it! And good luck!

Hitting -the- average isn't going to do you any favors, though. You can probably get in somewhere, but you'll have more options hitting a higher score.

Oh, don't misunderstand my post kids. I said that I understand the OPs frustration and know exactly what he is doing, then told them what I did and how it could help. I did say that I worked to become consistent and learned to focus quicker on that section. I did blow off studying for it the second time around because I knew it would do me no good since you can't really do anything besides extend your comprehensive abilities and focusing skills. I said that the test materials are not difficult, but learning to take the test is what's necessary, this also holds true for the verbal section. You must learn to understand the type of questions asked and what kind of answer they look for.