Chances...and extenuating circumstances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LiftsIron

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a few years removed from undergrad and I have a 3.55 overall, a 3.45 BCPM, and my MCAT is a 29S (11VR, 10BS, 8PS). I messed up PS clearly but thats because I really wanted to apply this year so I took the MCAT without having completed the physics sequence (all I did was self study). My GPA is low and I recognize that and I do not want to make excuses for it but I did briefly mention in my personal statement that I was very sick freshmen and sophomore year and had to have numerous surgeries. My junior and senior years I maintained a 4.0.

I have worked for an internationally recognized health research firm for two years now and my research has resulted in three first author publications. My job is extremely demanding and it has only allowed me to focus on one or two volunteer opportunities because I regularly work 60 hours a week. I am not a URM but I am fluent in Spanish and I have worked extensively with underserved populations consistently for the last 5 years.

My extracurricular experiences include:
*Volunteering as a EMT for 1 year and as a paramedic for one year (two if you count the time during the course)

*Founder of a non-profit clinic that provides free health care to approximately 30 patients each Saturday and 15-20 patients each Sunday. I am currently the executive director and have 5 physicians, 3 nurses, and a multicultural staff that can provide care in 8 languages. We are expanding because the demand is far outstripping our ability to offer enough appointments. The clinic almost exclusively serves the immigrant population.

*I was the student government president of a top 20 school as a undergrad.

*50+ hours of shadowing, I could increase my shadowing if needed because I can shadowing whenever I want because as the director of the clinic the doctors will of course oblige. Unfortunately, I don't get to shadow that much because whenever I am at the clinic I am taking care of paper work or writing grant proposals to keep the clinic funded.

*Ridiculously good summer internships in health policy as an undergrad at the AAFP and AAD.

*Essentially lived as a vagabond for 6 months in central america, wandering between countries as a loner and taking odd jobs to immerse myself in the cultures and get to know the locals while obtaining a better understanding of how people in other parts of the world live.

*Prestigious scholarship as an undergrad that is awarded to 1 student in the US.

*Editor of the student section of an academic journal.

There are actually quite a few other activities that I could include but I am too lazy to list tonight. I applied really broadly (25-30 schools) and 90-95% are low-to-mid tier schools. I only became complete in the middle of September at 80% of the schools to which I applied. I do have state schools which were included in my list, but one of them has high stats. What are my chances? Do I stand a chance this year or did I waste my money?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Superficially speaking, your borderline stats and low PS may get you screened out at a lot of schools. But any adcomm that reads the entire application will want you. You are one of those rare applicants whose experiences are so stand-out amazing that they will trump your lower numbers. I hope that Mayo, UIllinois, and Loyola (who tend to look at the whole application) are on your list. I think your chances are excellent, and I don't say that very often to someone with numbers like yours. But you will have to be patient. Having applied "late," it will be awhile before your application gets a thorough read-over somewhere.

Thank you very much for the uplifting news.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Superficially speaking, your borderline stats and low PS may get you screened out at a lot of schools. But any adcomm that reads the entire application will want you. You are one of those rare applicants whose experiences are so stand-out amazing that they will trump your lower numbers. I hope that Mayo, UIllinois, and Loyola (who tend to look at the whole application) are on your list. I think your chances are excellent, and I don't say that very often to someone with numbers like yours. But you will have to be patient. Having applied "late," it will be awhile before your application gets a thorough read-over somewhere.

I just wanted to poke my head back in and say thank you for the advice you provided early in the cycle. I had to wait quite a while to hear anything from some schools and I was flat out rejected by some schools rather quickly which I am sure is due to my numbers, but I have received 14 interviews and 5 acceptances so far. Three of which are top 30 schools. For those with low stats, don't let anyone tell you that you don't stand a chance due to your numbers! Let your experiences do the talking and don't be shy when it comes to explaining your passion because I am certain that I wouldn't be where I am today if I weren't able to clearly articulate why I am a good fit for these schools. Good luck and godspeed!

I have received 14 interviews and 5 acceptances so far. Three of which are top 30 schools. For those with low stats, don't let anyone tell you that you don't stand a chance due to your numbers!
Hey LiftsIron, I really appreciate your checking back to know what your progress has been. Congratulations on your admissions! It's lifted the mood of my day to know that your amazing ECs were recognized.