Chances and Improvements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yadster101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I just finished my sophomore year and I will be a junior in the fall. cGPA: 3.7ish sciGPA: 3.65ish. As far as clinical volunteering goes I volunteer at a hospital near my home whenever I am on break from school (summer and winter). I would like to apply next summer and by that time I would have volunteered at the hospital for 2 summers + 2 winter breaks (about 8 months) with about 200ish hours total. I want to get a job this year during the school year and work about 6 hours per week. Should I be volunteering at a hospital instead or is working good?

My ECs include:

• Summer volunteering (like I said 200~ hours)
  • Leadership position for pre-med club next year. (Joined club my soph year)
  • Research (at least 1 semester next year but hopefully the entire year). Also I am getting credit through my school for the research so does it still count as an EC?
  • Part of another club involved in helping the community (1 hr a week avg)
  • Shadowed about 20ish hours so far (couple anesthesiologists and pain medicine doc)
Next year:

Joining a new club next year (I know that I can get a leadership position quickly)
Working a job for hopefully the entire year (6 hrs/wk)

Also how many activities should I be a part of? I am probably only going to have 3 clubs + research + summer volunteering by next year. -- I have done a great variety of things for the clubs (organizing paperwork, helping blood donors, raising funds etc.).. if it matters...

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I just finished my sophomore year and I will be a junior in the fall. cGPA: 3.7ish sciGPA: 3.65ish. As far as clinical volunteering goes I volunteer at a hospital near my home whenever I am on break from school (summer and winter). I would like to apply next summer and by that time I would have volunteered at the hospital for 2 summers + 2 winter breaks (about 8 months) with about 200ish hours total. I want to get a job this year during the school year and work about 6 hours per week. Should I be volunteering at a hospital instead or is working good?

My ECs include:

• Summer volunteering (like I said 200~ hours)
  • Leadership position for pre-med club next year. (Joined club my soph year)
  • Research (at least 1 semester next year but hopefully the entire year). Also I am getting credit through my school for the research so does it still count as an EC?
  • Part of another club involved in helping the community (1 hr a week avg)
  • Shadowed about 20ish hours so far (couple anesthesiologists and pain medicine doc)
Next year:

Joining a new club next year (I know that I can get a leadership position quickly)
Working a job for hopefully the entire year (6 hrs/wk)

Also how many activities should I be a part of? I am probably only going to have 3 clubs + research + summer volunteering by next year. -- I have done a great variety of things for the clubs (organizing paperwork, helping blood donors, raising funds etc.).. if it matters...

Without an MCAT score, it will be very difficult to determine your chances. A 3.7 is right near the point where MCAT will make all the difference between top, medium or low tier medical school.

Research is research, whether you get credit for it or a salary. EC's don't necessarily have to be non-paid/volunteer work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Without an MCAT score, it will be very difficult to determine your chances. A 3.7 is right near the point where MCAT will make all the difference between top, medium or low tier medical school.

Research is research, whether you get credit for it or a salary. EC's don't necessarily have to be non-paid/volunteer work.

Ok thanks. What type of MCAT score would mid-tier schools be looking for? Also how are my ECs? I feel like they aren't anything too special...

Ok thanks. What type of MCAT score would mid-tier schools be looking for? Also how are my ECs? I feel like they aren't anything too special...

35+ for harvad tier. 33+ for Rochester, Einstein, Sinai tier, 30+ for SUNY, UMDNJ tier.

Your EC is fine unless you want to go for that harvard tier..then you need to have done some special "topics" either in research or something else to distinguish yourself.