Chances and input on how to improve app!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ufcfanatic1997

Reaction score
I've been working the last 2 years, and will be working this year. I plan on taking the MCATs at the end of May 2021, and applying next cycle. Thus, I will be working full time (40 hours a week), and studying until May. I plan on studying 2-3 hours on weekdays and 6-8 hours on the weekends. Right now I am using TBR books, Khan academy videos to supplement on the tougher concepts, and I plan on doing Altius once fall is here. Any other MCAT suggestions are appreciated.

I graduated spring of 2018 with a BS in Neuroscience.

My cGPA was a 3.889. MCAT score as noted, is to be determined.

Some additional stats:
my state of residence is Wisconsin, and my father is Asian and my mother is African-American. I also plan on applying as a disadvantaged student. Growing up my father made approximately 26k a year. My mom never worked. As a result, we did benefit from food stamps and other social service programs. However, due to all of this, I did grow up in the inner city and went through public schools in the inner city. Moreover, after graduating college and even during the summers of my college career, I really didn't get to partake in too many acitivites since it was necessary for me to work immidiately.

I have about 50-75 hours of shadowing (Endocrinologist, cardiologist, and opthamologist)

I will also list some of my activities:

1) Non-profit organization that I helped start:
A friend and I started a non-profit organization our freshman year of college. The non-profit aimed at offering tutoring serviced to inner city high school students. We were able to recruit college students from our respective univerities to tutor inner city students in SAT prep, AP biology courses, AP calculus, etc. We were a much cheaper alternative to Kaplan, TPR, and other tutoring services. Furthermore, we raised near 60k in funds to help us open up a community center for our students.

2) Research at the primate center:
As an undergraduate I did Neuroendocrinology research at the primate center on campus for the 4 years. We created a non-human primate model that served as a model for other labs to use. In addition, we used radioactive dyes to monitor and map the hormones that are relevent to Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Finally, we were able to used different machines and plugs to keep track of relevent physiological responses to test material administration. The best part was being able to work with primates on a daily basis!

3) Post graduation I worked for a contract research organization. I initially served as a study technician. During this time, I worked with primates and dogs and utilized lab techniques sunce as IV injections, oral gavages, subcutaneous injections, etc. Later on, I served as the principal primate trainer on-site. I worked with mature male monkeys and used behavioral techniques to help them get acclimated to the environment so other study technicians can then work with the primates during the length of the study. I then moved on to a study coordinator position, where I worked with clients from the large pharmaceutical companies, got an idea of how they wanted to run their studies, and then communicated this to our vets and techs. All in all, this experience was invaluable because I got a great idea of how the pharmaceutical company works.

4) Assistant to Ocular services
I served as an assistant to opthamalogists and verterinary opthamalogists who traveled around the Midwest as consultants. We went into laboratories around the Midwest, and acted as consultants who ultimately did all the "eye" related tasks required for studies. I was able to shadow these opthamologists who routinely did eye exams on primates, dogs, rats, etc. Moreover, I also gained lab experience since I was able to work with patholgists examining samples and slices.

5) Soon I will be working for a clinical company that designs at home cancer kits. The company was able to gain a paton on at home kits that doctors and customers will use to in diagnosing colon cancer. This will be a transition program, so I will be gaining experience in the lab (analyzing our samples) and then will move on to the sales team where I will be traveing and selling our equipments and tests to doctors.

6) Assistant wrestling coach. I served as an assistant wrestling coach for 4 months after graduation for a nearby high school.

7) Certified fitness instructor. Had about four clients over a span of 3 months. In additon, this position allowed me to work at a nearby gym.

8) Assistant manager for a used car company. My primary role was to analyze local market data, build relationships with private auctioneers, and set price points for our car inventory. My data allowed the owners to project cash flow and purchase vehicles based on need.

There are a few more acitivites that I have done but these are the main ones. Please provide insight about where I should try and improve. The MCAT score is to be determmined, but I also want to improve my app before May hits. Ideally, I would love to go to a MD school. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
i may have skimmed too fast but any clinical volunteering?

No, only clinical experience I have is 50-75 hours of shadowing that I have done.
I'm no expert but zero clinical volunteering is definitely a red flag. Your other ECs are fantastic but you're missing the biggest one. Definitely find a volunteering position at your local hospital asap

Any community service commitment that doesn't involve teaching/tutoring? You'll get some credit for establishing something entrepreneurial but a ton of premeds teach or tutor.

Every summer we went into inner city New Jersey/NY cities and helped local bilingual residents apply for medicare and help them learn about various insurance/social services available to them. In addition, every Ramadan (30 days of fasting) we held food drives for homeless Muslims and non-Muslims who couldn't really afford nutritious meals.

@LizzyM @Goro would I be able to apply as a disadvantaged student? Also, what are some other app recommendations you guys would give? Thanks.