1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Chances and School List Help!

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by msr25, Aug 17, 2011.

1. msr25

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

#1 msr25, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. music2doc

music2doc Student of Mad Doctoring
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    With your 7 VR, those are all big time reaches. You are average to below average for all of those schools in the sciences and below the 10th percentile for many of those schools in VR. You need to add some low to mid DO schools as safeties and some mid to upper DOs as matches. With a great cGPA but weaker sGPA, you really can't expect that VR to be ignored. I'd pick your favorite 5 or so of those MD schools and keep 'em. Then add 10 DO schools you wouldn't mind attending.

4. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Add UIllinois and Rosalind Franklin which have a bottom tenth percentile for VS of 7. and others like EVMS which doesn't look at subscores, and FIU and Oakland, which don't have a minimum cutoff.

I'd probably remove schools with a bottom tenth percentile for VS greater than an 8 per the MSAR.

Include Albany, NYMC, Cooper (new in NJ), and maybe Hofstra.

5. msr25

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm going to retake the MCAT in the spring and withdraw from this cycle.

6. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum

If you have submitted, but are not yet verified, and withdraw, you will get a refund from AMCAS of all but The basic fee for a single school.

7. msr25

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What should I do if I'm verified already though? Do I just not send in secondaries and wait until the next cycle? I think I'm supposed to contact each medical school on my primary and ask for my removal from the applicant pool.

8. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum

That would be the polite thing to do, especially as you will likely reapply to some of them next year. You need not give details, merely say in your letter that you wish to withdraw your application from further consideration for this year.