Chances as is for DO Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EasternMer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Life Sciences Middle School Teacher in Northern Virginia.

GPA: 3.65
sGPA: 3.43
MCAT: 23, 25 (Planning to retake this fall)
EC's: Good
Research: Above average, 5+ conferences & a pub
LORs: Strong
Shadowing: Only MD, do you recommend I shadow MD?

I'd love to attend UNECOM. Chances at other DO schools?

Members don't see this ad.

You mean shadow a DO? If so yes. It might help and it would be good for you to see the differences(or lack of differences) What are your ECs? I know you said they were good but ... You should investigate what schools average MCAT scores and which take the highest or most recent. (Someone on here ended up calling lots of schools for this information. )

You mean shadow a DO? If so yes. It might help and it would be good for you to see the differences(or lack of differences) What are your ECs? I know you said they were good but ... You should investigate what schools average MCAT scores and which take the highest or most recent. (Someone on here ended up calling lots of schools for this information. )
I was president of Botany Club, and founder of Interfaith Fellowship, Class Representative, Resident Advisor, and I'm currently working as a Teacher, so I think that'll go a long way in individualizing me.

My research is all education based, and I'm volunteered at a food pantry and hospital for 400 hours or so each.

Do you think my shots are good for DO? I'm shooting for a 32+ on a retake (or whatever equivalence that'll be on the new exam).

Members don't see this ad :)
What about clinical work/ECs? How much shadowing?
I've volunteered at the PEDS ward of my local Hospital for around 400 hours, shadowed an MD internist and an MD Urologist for a total of about 100 hours.

Oh good. Be sure you remember to put all of that down. Try and find a DO since you are interested in applying to DO. Some schools require a letter from a DO when you apply. You'll have to do some homework on that and the MCAT averaging etc.

Oh good. Be sure you remember to put all of that down. Try and find a DO since you are interested in applying to DO. Some schools require a letter from a DO when you apply. You'll have to do some homework on that and the MCAT averaging etc.
Ahh all right thanks for that. I'm hoping to get an acceptance to Pacific-Oregon or UNECOM.

But also applying MD if I get 32+ on the MCAT.

I suggest applying to at least 12 DO schools. Your MCAT of 25 is below the median for many DO schools but there are some schools where the median is in the 24 to 26 range. ACOM, CUSOM, LMU-DCOM, MU-COM, UP-KYCOM, WVSOM, VCOM (all schools ), WCU-COM are schools where you could be interviewed. Of course apply to additional schools in areas of the country you are interested in.

I suggest applying to at least 12 DO schools. Your MCAT of 25 is below the median for many DO schools but there are some schools where the median is in the 24 to 26 range. ACOM, CUSOM, LMU-DCOM, MU-COM, UP-KYCOM, WVSOM, VCOM (all schools ), WCU-COM are schools where you could be interviewed. Of course apply to additional schools in areas of the country you are interested in.
Won't it matter than my GPA is a bit higher than median?

Won't it matter than my GPA is a bit higher than median?
If money is not a concern, just apply to as many schools as you would like. It's hard to know your chances at schools with higher average stats than yours since you could land an interview with great essays, LORs, etc.

Your chances will be best at the newest schools.

I'm a Life Sciences Middle School Teacher in Northern Virginia.

GPA: 3.65
sGPA: 3.43
MCAT: 23, 25 (Planning to retake this fall)
EC's: Good
Research: Above average, 5+ conferences & a pub
LORs: Strong
Shadowing: Only MD, do you recommend I shadow MD?

I'd love to attend UNECOM. Chances at other DO schools?