Chances at a California School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cluelessnoob

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a cGPA of 3.86 and a sGPA of 3.92. I have taken the MCAT twice with the first time having a score of 11 PS/8 VR/12 BS and the second time having a score of 12 PS/10 VR/10 BS. Do you guys think I have a shot at any of the CA schools like UCI, UCLA, UCSD, or USC? Btw, I am from California. I have 200 hrs of volunteer experience at a hospital, volunteered abroad for a summer tutoring disadvantaged kids, and worked in a research lab where I published an abstract and presented a poster at a conference.

Members don't see this ad.

Just based on stats, I think you definitely have a chance. Good job on upping the VR into the double digits. I would apply to all of the CA schools.

You have a pretty good chance at acceptance to at least one of the CA schools, and are the the sort of applicant for whom interviews will matter the most.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys for the quick reply. Would the 2 point drop in BS hurt me significantly? Also, I would like to add that my major is bioengineering, and I shadowed a few physicians for about 80 hours.

I wouldn't worry about the change in BS score. The engineering degree is a small plus. If you got it at a place known for tough grading (eg. Caltech) that would help a lot.

Your numbers should be good enough for some interviews. Among interviewees your GPA will be above-average and your MCAT a little low but not concerningly so. Extracurriculars should be average among interviewees. Hence, the importance of making a good impression in person.