Chances at Allopathic School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalSchoolHopeful2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying for fall 2015.

My stats are as follows:
MCAT: 13 BS, 9 VR, 12 PS(34)
EC's: Extensive Hospital volunteering, 2 years as a Volunteer EMT for my local fire department, Shadowed a DO and MD, Currently volunteering in a Research Lab- Been a member for approx 6 months- I'm extremely hardworking and the Post Doc I am working with has taught me a lot( I have a detailed notebook of procedures I am acquainted with - i.e.- Western Blot, PCR, transplantation etc etc , along with my daily agenda for lab)

That's basically my application in a nutshell. I'm looking to get into an American Medical School. I am worried about my Verbal score. What are some MD schools that you would recommend for me?

Schools on my list so far:
Drexel medical School
Temple medical School
Stony Brook Medical School
Hofstra Medical School
Rosalind Franklin

**All five schools seem to be extremely competitive, possibly even reaches. Regardless, I am extremely hardworking and want to demonstrate to the admission committees that I will give it my all. I am extremely passionate about medicine, and will put 110 percent into everything I do. My reasoning behind wanting to become a physician is not money, but my passion for working with others and making a difference in someone else's life. My experience in healthcare has definitely confirmed this.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
SAT doesn't matter. You should be fine if you apply early

Members don't see this ad :)
My application is already complete. I will apply as early as possible. May 1st is when applicants can fill out the AAMCAS and June 1st is when submission is first allowed.

My application is already complete. I will apply as early as possible. May 1st is when applicants can fill out the AAMCAS and June 1st is when submission is first allowed.
You might want to include 5 more schools.

GynGyn, are there any schools that you would recommend based on the information I provided? I neglected to mention that I am a New York State resident-- I'm not sure as to how big of an advantage that provides when applying in state.

Some other schools I've added to my list:
- SUNY Downstate
-SUNY Upstate
-SUNY Buffalo
- New York Medical College
-NYU

GynGyn, are there any schools that you would recommend based on the information I provided? I neglected to mention that I am a New York State resident-- I'm not sure as to how big of an advantage that provides when applying in state.

Some other schools I've added to my list:
- SUNY Downstate
-SUNY Upstate
-SUNY Buffalo
- New York Medical College
-NYU
I'll count that as 4! Seriously, that's much better now.

My pre med advisor recommended that I apply to 15 schools. To learn more about medical schools, I decided to use my amazon coupon attained from completion of the MCAT trial section to order an MSAR. My main concern is that I may not be applying broadly enough with the list I have currently compiled.

There's a total of 30 schools on my list after reviewing the MSAR.

1. Rosalind Franklin
2. Drexel
3. Temple
4. Loma Linda
5. Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
6. University of Buffalo
7. SUNY Stony Brook
8. SUNY Upstate
9. SUNY Downstate
10. New York Medical College
11. Hofstra
12. Albert Einstein
13. Albany Medical College
14. Mercer University School of Medicine
15. West Virginia University School of Medicine
16 George Washington School of Medicine
17. University of South Alabama College of Medicine
18. University of Arkansas
19. Florida State University
20. Louisiana State University School of Medicine - Shrevport
21 University of Mississippi
22. University of Missouri- Kansas City School of Medicine
23. Brody School of Medicine- East Carolina University
24. Wake Forest
25. University of Oklahoma
26. University of South Carolina School of Medicine- Greenville
27. East Tennessee State University James H. Quilen College of Medicine
28. Texas A & M
29. University of Texas- Houston
30.Virginia Commonweatlh

***I am worried about the 9 on verbal. Will I be screened out at some of these schools because of it? How will those in charge of admissions decisions view it?
According to the MSAR, 9 on verbal is at the 10th percentile for some of these schools...

I'm a bit confused gpa, mcat, and ecs look fine. Shouldn't he be set?

You have a lot of public schools from different states. A lot of them are extremely selective and expensive for out of state students.

Reactions: 1 user
1. SUNY Stony Brook
2. SUNY Buffalo
3. SUNY Upstate
4. SUNY Downstate
5. Albany Medical College
6. New York Medical College
7. Hofstra
8. Albert Einstein
------> All IS schools
9. Rush Medical College ( Private, Illinois)
10. Jefferson Medical College(Private, Pennsylvania)
11. Creighton (Private, Nebraska)
12. Quinnipiac( Private, Connecticut)<--- I lived the first 10 yrs of my life in Connecticut so maybe that will help somewhat?
13. Rosalind Franklin(Private, Illinois)
14. Drexel (Private, Pennsylvania)
15. Loma Linda(Private, California)
16. Temple(Private, Pennsylvania)
17. George Washington University( Private, Washington DC)

Here's an updated list.

Good list!

1. SUNY Stony Brook
2. SUNY Buffalo
3. SUNY Upstate
4. SUNY Downstate
7. Hofstra
8. Albert Einstein
------> All IS schools
9. Rush Medical College ( Private, Illinois)
10. Jefferson Medical College(Private, Pennsylvania)
11. Creighton (Private, Nebraska)
12. Quinnipiac( Private, Connecticut)<--- I lived the first 10 yrs of my life in Connecticut so maybe that will help somewhat?
13. Rosalind Franklin(Private, Illinois)
14. Drexel (Private, Pennsylvania)
15. Loma Linda(Private, California)
16. Temple(Private, Pennsylvania)
17. George Washington University( Private, Washington DC)

Here's an updated list.

You have a good school list, but with a 3.8 and a 34 MCAT, you should still try to aim for a few reach schools. Apply to those first 8 in-state schools, and then switch out two to three schools on your list for either URochester, NYU, Mount Sinai, or Cornell. Apply to all if you have the money and time. I had a 9 in verbal too (35/3.9), but got into a top20 school this cycle. The 9 may hold you back at some places, but other schools will overlook it because your overall MCAT is high enough

Try to work hard and get a poster out of your research (or publication). Also, I don't think many schools will look favorably on you taking A&P at a community college. Either go to a four year school or spend that time doing something else to help your app. Albert Einstein and Mount Sinai have a strong focus on community service, so maybe try to get involved with a service activity to help your application

Thank you for your advice Katsu.

Here's an updated list:
1. SUNY Stony Brook
2. SUNY Buffalo
3. SUNY Upstate
4. SUNY Downstate
7. Hofstra
8. Albert Einstein
9. University Rochester
10. Mount Sinai
11. Cornell
----> All In state Schools
12. Jefferson Medical College(Private, Pennsylvania)
13. Creighton (Private, Nebraska)
14. Quinnipiac( Private, Connecticut)<--- I lived the first 10 yrs of my life in Connecticut so maybe that will help somewhat?
15. Rosalind Franklin(Private, Illinois)
16. Drexel (Private, Pennsylvania)
17. Loma Linda(Private, California)
18. Temple(Private, Pennsylvania)
19. George Washington University( Private, Washington DC)
20. Wake Forest( Private, North Carolina)
21. Boston University( Private, Massachusetts)
22. Rush Medical College ( Private, Illinois)
23. Dartmouth Medical School (Private, New Hampshire)

***I'm meeting with a medical school advisor tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be able to reduce the number of schools on this list and replace schools that aren't a good fit with schools that are.
***If anyone has suggestions, please share. I greatly appreciate any and all assistance.

Update: Professor said my numerical stats are high and EC's are good. However, he also said that there are so many individuals who are competitive and have the same numbers. He mentioned that I should apply to a total of 30 schools. I'm thinking 25 MD, 5 DO. He said that Virginia is OOS friendly? Can anyone weigh in on this? Not that it matters, but he said that in 10 years I'll be apart of a medical practice and laugh at how stressful this process was >.<"-- I sure hope he's right lol...

Are there any low tier Schools( without strong in state preference) that I am missing?

Here's an updated list:
1. SUNY Stony Brook
2. SUNY Buffalo
3. SUNY Upstate
4. SUNY Downstate
7. Hofstra
8. Albert Einstein
9. University Rochester
10. Mount Sinai
11. Cornell
----> All In state Schools
12. Jefferson Medical College(Private, Pennsylvania)
13. Creighton (Private, Nebraska)
14. Quinnipiac( Private, Connecticut)<--- I lived the first 10 yrs of my life in Connecticut so maybe that will help somewhat?
15. Rosalind Franklin(Private, Illinois)
16. Drexel (Private, Pennsylvania)
17. Loma Linda(Private, California)
18. Temple(Private, Pennsylvania)
19. George Washington University( Private, Washington DC)
20. Wake Forest( Private, North Carolina)
21. Boston University( Private, Massachusetts)
22. Rush Medical College ( Private, Illinois)
23. Dartmouth Medical School (Private, New Hampshire)
24. Eastern Virginia Medical School( Public, Virginia)
25. Virginia Commonwealth University(Public Virginia)