Feb 5, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Im no expert, but those stats seem solid. It seems like it just depends on what schools you apply to as well as how you do interviewing.. Where do you want to go?

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
Going to get sweet and to the point. I know I can do osteopathic which still is fantastic as long as I can practice. I started out an engineer and I worked my ass off with a 3.7 to 3.9 upward trend ever since.

cGPA: 3.62

sGPA: 3.75

MCAT: 11/10/11

90 hours shadowing two MD at a hospital

750 hours volunteering Emergency Department

100 hours volunteering at a Local VA

550 hour research internship (interventions for MS)

100 hour research internship (NYC health department)

Letter of recommendation from anatomy professor
Letter of recommendation from Orgo professor
Letter of recommendation from Director of ED at hospital
Good to go.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

OP
J
Dec 20, 2012
Status
I am not looking top tier or anything. I have only been to a few at the moment.

Albert Einstein medical school

The SUNY's

Eastern Virginia medical school

Virginia commonwealth medical school

University of Connecticut medical

I can be considered instate for Virginia and connecticut so the instate capability hopefully boosters my chances as well

Silverflash

5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2013
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Uh, yeah, you're fine. You should apply to some reach schools, you might have a decent shot.

skais595

5+ Year Member
May 12, 2012
CA
Status
Pre-Medical
Going to get sweet and to the point. I know I can do osteopathic which still is fantastic as long as I can practice. I started out an engineer and I worked my ass off with a 3.7 to 3.9 upward trend ever since.

If you have time, I'd try to find some opportunities for community service (not necessarily medical) or teaching....though I don't know what your VA volunteering consisted of. Just something to add another dimension to your app!

Also I think it's pretty uncommon to visit a lot of schools before you apply/interview. Pick schools based on stats, location, and your interests and peculiarities. You'll visit when you interview!

IslandStyle808

Akuma residency or bust!
5+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2012

OP do you have a non-science professor letter of recommendation (some schools require this)?

OP
J
Dec 20, 2012
Status
Well I am an exercise science and human performance major so I do have about 75 hours volunteered National Health Education center for children.

I wasn't aware I needed non-science that is very interesting. So I will have to check what school needs it

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
I can be considered instate for Virginia and connecticut so the instate capability hopefully boosters my chances as well[/QUOTE]

You can only be in state for one state.

OP
J
Dec 20, 2012
Status
I can be considered instate for Virginia and connecticut so the instate capability hopefully boosters my chances as well
You can only be in state for one state.[/QUOTE]

You are positive about that? I was told by a attending that he was able to declare instate for 2 because his family paid taxes at both locations which is my situation

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
You are positive about that? I was told by a attending that he was able to declare instate for 2 because his family paid taxes at both locations which is my situation
I'm pretty sure the address on your AMCAS is the one used to determine state residency

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile