Chances at an MD school with low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docwin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering what you guys think would be my chances for an MD school in the U.S. I'm planning to apply as soon as the cycle starts in June 2011.

My overall undergrad GPA is 3.17 and my science GPA is about a 2.6.
I did do a 2 year Masters program but my GPA is low, 3.3.
I'm taking the MCAT in April and from results from my practice tests, I think I will score in the low to mid thirties. (Of course this is if all goes well :)) I've been studying really hard for it while also taking a few undergrad classes to boost my science GPA.

Reasons for low GPA was really due to having to work to pay tuition for college and undergrad. It wasn't medical related jobs - I worked at a bakery, school lab, and retail store.
I'm not going to make any excuses, because when I did have free time, I did do a lot of extracurricular activities (President/Cofounder of one organization, positions in 2 other clubs) and volunteered (between hospital and free clinic, 150 hrs) which took some time off of studying in college. :(

I do have research experience in the science field. I wasn't published but I did present at a poster presentation. I haven't shadowed any physicians yet but in the process of contacting them.

So tell me your honest opinion! I am open to all suggestions, feedback, and criticism on how I can improve or what schools you guys think I should apply to.

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd agree that in the absence of a recent, consistent, steep upward grade swing in postbac science classes, such a low BCPM GPA makes any US med school acceptance problematic at this time. That's not to say there aren't ways around that problem, but they would take time, money, and great grades for a period of time.

Hello everyone!

Hope you all are well and I hope that someone can help me figure out where I stand in terms of getting into medical school.

During Undergrad, I had a lot of medical issues which really hurt my GPA. Before I started undergrad, I was accepted into a honors program at my university. I graduated the honors program with distinction. But aside from that, my GPA was only a 3.3. Then I had a couple surgeries that I needed but kept putting off to try and finish on time. I didn't take any time off but after I graduated, I enrolled in a Masters Program. Its a Masters in Clinical Exercise Physiology. I have a 3.9 GPA in my masters program, I obtained my EMT-B License and I only got a 27T on my MCAT. Given all these scores/numbers, do i have a chance of getting into any schools? I know how hard its getting these days but even though I have a post bachelors degree, I still am very skeptical about my chances of getting in.

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I wish you all the best of luck in getting into your desired lines of studies.

Best Regards,

Never mind

Last edited:
Your probably gonna have to get that science gpa up or do some post grad work showing higher grades. Med schools DO or MD dont like to see science below normal gpa. I doubt a unbelievable mcat will erase alot of the admissions peoples fears