Chances at Anesthesiology as img

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blazers

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For a prospective applicant (US Citizen), who did medical school at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, had a USMLE Step 1 Score of 225, and had a publication in a major medical journal working with a faculty member at one of the top Northwest programs in the US for anesthesia, and excellent LORS,

generally what are the chances for this kind of applicant? Is being a graduate from the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland going to be regarded the same as being a graduate from any other foreign medical school? I heard anesthesia is becoming competitive for FMGS to obtain.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
With the information you provided, your chances of matching are probably about 50%. Look at the NRMP charting outcomes of the match document. For independent applicants with your step 1 score, a little less than 50% of them matched. I can't comment on how programs view your med school though.

With the information you provided, your chances of matching are probably about 50%. Look at the NRMP charting outcomes of the match document. For independent applicants with your step 1 score, a little less than 50% of them matched. I can't comment on how programs view your med school though.

Will being from Royal College of Surgeons Ireland be regarded almost as equivalent as a US graduate, since the quality of education is one of the best in the world and is known internationally?

Will being from Royal College of Surgeons Ireland be regarded almost as equivalent as a US graduate, since the quality of education is one of the best in the world and is known internationally?

It's hard to say. Its probably better than being from a medical school in a 3rd world country with dirt floors, but I would be hard pressed to believe that it would be considered "almost as equivalent." I think Western European medical education is, in general, looked upon fondly relative to the rest of the world, but you have a couple of other challenges. Namely, your Step I score is not fantastic by any stretch. Also, there's that whole ECFMG certification thing that I don't entirely understand. Have you taken step II or CS?

For a prospective applicant (US Citizen), who did medical school at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, had a USMLE Step 1 Score of 225, and had a publication in a major medical journal working with a faculty member at one of the top Northwest programs in the US for anesthesia, and excellent LORS,

generally what are the chances for this kind of applicant? Is being a graduate from the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland going to be regarded the same as being a graduate from any other foreign medical school? I heard anesthesia is becoming competitive for FMGS to obtain.

Thank you.

Apply to SLU, you'll get in.

I have known Irish schooled residents. We have a couple in surgery not anesthesia. These guys are rock stars 240+ usmle scores. I would expect stronger numbers from your region.

Apply to SLU, you'll get in.

Thank you, thats good to know.

In addition if my dad did a fellowship at OHSU (Oregon Health Sciences University) in CT surgery, will that help if I am applying to OHSU for anesthesia? Opinions on this?

in addition i know of one M4 amg currently who with a score in the 190's is getting a lot of interviews at places like gw, colorado, etc.

Does being an AMG make that much of a difference even as compared to being a graduate from a school like Royal College of Surgeons?

in addition i know of one M4 amg currently who with a score in the 190's is getting a lot of interviews at places like gw, colorado, etc.

Does being an AMG make that much of a difference even as compared to being a graduate from a school like Royal College of Surgeons?

What is an AMG? I have heard of IMG, and FMG. Are we sub typing FMGs?

My backup plan is to do a prelim surgery and then apply for anesthesia but seriously do not want to go that route.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes, it is a big difference. The problem is there will be alot of places that simply dont take IMG's so you will be limited regardless of your step scores or what international school you went to. If they do take IMG's most places will take only a select few, with the exception of some places which you can google. Being an IMG you will need to take step 2 before you apply and your chances will be dependent on that. 225 is a score slightly below the average for an American grad, which puts you in a disadvantage as an IMG. But there have been IMG's who matched with that step score.

But as nmrp states you are an independent applicant and your chances with that score are 50-50. But there is a huge increase in American Graduates recently, so your chances will also depend on when you are applying.

But one point that's true is that Anesthesia is alot easier for an American graduate compared to a IMG

Yes, it is a big difference. The problem is there will be alot of places that simply dont take IMG's so you will be limited regardless of your step scores or what international school you went to. If they do take IMG's most places will take only a select few, with the exception of some places which you can google. Being an IMG you will need to take step 2 before you apply and your chances will be dependent on that. 225 is a score slightly below the average for an American grad, which puts you in a disadvantage as an IMG. But there have been IMG's who matched with that step score.

But as nmrp states you are an independent applicant and your chances with that score are 50-50. But there is a huge increase in American Graduates recently, so your chances will also depend on when you are applying.

But one point that's true is that Anesthesia is alot easier for an American graduate compared to a IMG

Yeah I agree. Even being from THE ROYAL COLLEGE OF SURGEONS (!) you will still not be considered on par with American allopathic medical students. As stated above, your step I score is below average for anesthesia applicants, so this works to your disadvantage. If you rock out Step II and pass CS, you'll improve your chances. I doubt that your father doing a CT surgical fellowship will help you any at OHSU. Peripheral connections to an institution (especially outside of your department of interest) tend not to make a difference.

An American citizen at a foreign school means (to me) that he/she couldn't get into a US school. So you are at a disadvantage, particularly given the current popularity of anesthesia amongst US grads.

:( I thought being from the Royal College of Surgeons (which is hands down much more superior than any carribean school and at least if not better than DO schools), a decent USMLE score, having that peripheral connection + a publication in anesthesia, and seeing an AMG get interviews with around a 190 getting interviews made me hopeful.

Is going the prelim route in surgery at some of the top major institutions (since even those take a lot of FMGs) and then applying to anesthesia the better way to go?

:( I thought being from the Royal College of Surgeons (which is hands down much more superior than any carribean school and at least if not better than DO schools), a decent USMLE score, having that peripheral connection + a publication in anesthesia, and seeing an AMG get interviews with around a 190 getting interviews made me hopeful.

Is going the prelim route in surgery at some of the top major institutions (since even those take a lot of FMGs) and then applying to anesthesia the better way to go?

Why not apply to both? Rank anes higher than prelim surg programs and see what happens.

What you have to realize about the FMG's at top programs is that most of them are coming from doing 1-2 yrs of research at premier research institutions in the US, are cream of the crop from their own countries/ med schools, and usually have rockstar board scores.

I know US IMGs with boards in the 250-260 range who are feeling lucky to have gotten 7-10 mid-tier anesthesia interviews this time around. It's gonna be a tough road for you, mate.

You are right in that your medical school is considered a good school however. You have to have the board scores to back it up. The guys at my program which has a strong tradition of taking Irish grads for numerous programs IE surgery and anesthesia were studs 240 plus board scores. Our current HSA president is from Ireland. He was a stock broker in Ireland decided to go back into medicine. He is the kind of guy that could sell sand in the desert. Another route you could take is to do a residency in your home country and apply for fellowship in the US and stay after fellowship. I know of an irish anesthesiologist whom did this very route. He was a stud too. The problem you are going to face is that their are tons of AMG's out that have better scores. Their are also FMG's whom are fully trained in anesthesia in their own country with good numbers whom you are going up against. Take it from someone whom has interviewed and worked with some great FMG's they all have good scores, lots of research, and up to 60% of them have already trained in anesthesia. Good luck.

Well looking at your profile, you have not gone to medschool yet. I would strongly suggest to go the DO route over RCSI. Most people would agree anesthesia is alot more DO friendly than IMG friendly. I have seen many DO's with like 15 interviews, very few if any IMG's. But you will have to take the MCAT, which looks like you haven't taken.

I am not certain that RCSI would be better than the Caribbean because you would do most of your clinical in Ireland, which will be an issue some places you apply. You probably can do some away audition rotations in the United States with RCSI, but probably not as much as if you can with SGU and Ross etc. I know people who have went to Poland and England and they were pretty much treated like IMG's, I wouldnt think RCSI would be any different.

Bottom line Anesthesia will be alot more difficult in 5-6 yrs due to many more American Gradates. I would really try the US MD or DO route before going oversees. Because a degree from RCSI will still make you an IMG. But an IMG can get anesthesia just will be harder. You should look at their match list and see how many people get competitive residencies in their match lists (since many american grads do go that route in RCSI). But that is just me.

blazers,

I think you're getting ahead of yourself, a bit. No doubt that RCSI is a top-tier Western European medical school but, perhaps, worry about the next step, foremost. By that I mean focus on getting accepted to medical school before you start making plans ahead of that. Once you've been accepted and you bust your butt off at RCSI, I'm sure you'll make things happen but worrying about it at this point is really setting yourself up.

I tend to agree. Actually, your BCPM and overall GPA aren't bad. Why not US M.D.?

Our current HSA president is from Ireland. He was a stock broker in Ireland decided to go back into medicine. He is the kind of guy that could sell sand in the desert.

He is a cool guy, worked with him last spring. You should mention that he's a surgery resident who matched into a prelim spot, and got offered a categorical postion later on.
CCF (maybe together with Harvard) in general is probably THE most FMG friendly place in the US, I can't remember meeting any US-IMGs from the caribbean though.

Oh boy.

This thread makes me nervous, as do all "what are my chances threads". I'm kind of clinging to the bottom with my 211 step 1 score. US MD + great clinical grades/recs/pubs/ECs + former career highlights. But still, Step 1 of 211 :(

But, I really enjoyed anesthesiology, and the worst anyone can say is "no". I'll be applying next go around, so I'm curious to see how this match day looks around here.

Random MS- You have nothing to worry about. You will get plenty of interviews, except at the most competitive places. Being a US MD makes a huge difference.

I'm an Australian FMG. Got 236 and 267 and had 9 interviews this year in anesthesiology. All the places I went seemed really receptive. Do well in CK and you should be fine. You'll just have to apply everywhere and email program coordinators to show your interest. Even visit some before the ERAS opens if you can.

Cheers.

So doctors from Asia, Africa, South America all came from horrible med schools?? Seems like if you re from a European foreign school AMGs love you... but if an IMG from outside of Europe you re subpar??

He / she wasn't implying that, I'm sure. Also, plenty of IMGs come from great medical schools all over the world from regions you've mentioned. Talent, strong work ethic, and drive in medicine aren't restricted by geography and, thankfully, North Americans understand that.

Not he/she inparticular but once in a while people should stop and really think about what they post..

If you "did medschool in Ireland...you ll have no problem; did med school in Germany.. o you ll get plenty of interviews... Australia or the UK ... residency spots are wide open..BUT medschool in SouthAmerica, India, Africa, Middle East, China... you better be happy with what ever residency you get.." not overt but still boderline racist/prejudice? Not cool but thats just how things work:thumbdown:

Peeps on the Anesthesia forum are still awesome though.. more clear on other forums

Getting your MD from the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland doesn't make u anywhere near equivalent to a US graduate. Just sayin. The training is still subpar in my opinion. I've seen some of them-they can't even write a simple progress note. To the OP, good luck though.