MD Chances at any allopathic school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bloodandguts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
White Male.
3.72 regular GPA
3.32 sGPA
27 MCAT (10/9/8)
200 hours clinical volunteering and 150 hours of community service.
300 hours of research experience with no publications.
80 hours of physician shadowing.

Question 1. Do I have any chance at any allopathic schools?

Question 2. If I got like a 500+ on the new MCAT, would I have much better chances? I don't want to waste my time/money on the new MCAT if my sGPA/regular GPA are hurting me so bad it wouldn't pay off.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you did better on the MCAT you would have better chances. I don't know the scoring system well (most adcoms won't be super familiar either) but percentile wise, aim for something comparable to 31+ and look for schools that take recent MCAT, no averaged

I would retake the MCAT for MD schools, especially since you're URM. You'd solid for DO schools though

URM? I thought that was a minority? I'm white.

The thing is, I only have enough money to apply to like 12 schools. If I decide to retake the MCAT, I'll probably only have enough money left over for 9 schools. I want to make 5 or 6 DO, but I didn't know if I'd even have a shot a MD with just 3 applications and the chance of a higher score.

I'm already taking a gap year so I don't want to take another. I guess I could get a credit card to get the rest of the application, but at most I might be able to apply to like 7 MD schools.

If I only get the equivalent of a 29 or 30, and I only have 7 applications to MD (all lowest tier, private, or public in my home state) if I'd have a better chance, I'll do it. But if the chance is incredibly poor of getting in, I might just focus on DO. Some of the residencies I'm interested in are a little more competitive, therefore, I'd prefer MD. But I don't think MD is worth another year I'll be out of the workforce with my loans accumulating.

Members don't see this ad :)
My bad, I meant ORM.

I understand med school is super expensive to apply to, but this is something that really requires your best shot--as being rejected and reapplying is even more expensive. I would strongly recommend retaking the MCAT, getting a credit card, and applying MD/DO.

If money is a big issue, just apply DO schools. I know plenty of great DO doctors

what is your state of residence?

your chances are decent for MD as it is (~45%), but that's only if you apply broadly. if you only have the money to apply to a few MD schools, then you should stick to schools in your state, and use the rest on DOs.

A 27 is circling the drain for MD schools. Your best chances are really with DO schools, and with NYMC, Albany, SLU, Loma Linda, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, TCMC, Netter, SLU, MCW and the other newest schools, except for Va Tech, Central MI, and Hofstra.

If you're really boning for MD, you'll need to retake the MCAT

White Male.
3.72 regular GPA
3.32 sGPA
27 MCAT (10/9/8)
200 hours clinical volunteering and 150 hours of community service.
300 hours of research experience with no publications.
80 hours of physician shadowing.

Question 1. Do I have any chance at any allopathic schools?

Question 2. If I got like a 500+ on the new MCAT, would I have much better chances? I don't want to waste my time/money on the new MCAT if my sGPA/regular GPA are hurting me so bad it wouldn't pay off.

what is your state of residence?

your chances are decent for MD as it is (~45%), but that's only if you apply broadly. if you only have the money to apply to a few MD schools, then you should stick to schools in your state, and use the rest on DOs.

Is there really a chance? My adviser basically said to me, "You're not a URM, you don't have any chance of allopathic at all, you need to retake your MCAT."

So many people are telling me different things. I don't know which is correct.

Contradicting Things:
-You have zero shot at allopathic.
-You have a shot if you apply a lot.
-You have a shot if you retake your MCAT and get the equivalent of a 32+.
-You have a shot if you retake and get a 30 (500).

So many voices. If I had a clear majority saying one thing, I'd know what to do. I know there is no guarantees with med school but I realistically think I can pull a 500 out of my hat (I have a lot of biochem/psych/sociology prep from my degree). But it would suck to spend all the money taking the MCAT, applying to MD schools and not getting into any, and then just going DO like I could have if I never wasted all this money.

But if there is a real chance with a 500, I'm more likely to take it.

The only reason I care about the distinction is I might be interested in surgery and I heard only like the top DO students get into surgery.

Last edited:
i initially glossed over your sGPA, i hadn't noticed that it was so significantly below your cGPA. your chances as of now are significantly lower, probably 20-30% (see AAMC table 25)

your advisor seems to be confused about the MCAT scoring, though. a 500 is 50th percentile, which is actually a little lower than your old 27. a 30 is 75th percentile, so there's a big difference there. in light of your sGPA, yes, you need to retake the MCAT to have a realistic shot at MD, and probably need to score at least in the 80th percentile (around a 32 equivalent)

knowing your state of residence would be helpful, too

I took a lot of extra science classes because I wanted some base knowledge for medical school (Genetics, Biochem, Physiology, Virology, etc.) and now I'm kicking myself for it. I had a 3.5 science GPA before taking these non-required science classes but I really didn't want to go to medical school and have a disadvantage because I wasn't a science major.

I'm glad I have the knowledge but not glad it cost me my awesome science GPA.

So a 32, huh? I wish I knew how long it would take me to prep to be at a 32 level. I don't want to be a late applicant because I waited to take the MCAT. But another gap year is out of the question, too much loan debt.

I originally studied for the old MCAT for four months and spent roughly 300+ hours preparing. My practice test averaged around 29 with occasional 30's. I wonder how mnay more hours of prep would get me to a 32 level on this new one.

I should also say, all of my B and few C science grades occurred after transferring to a major university (I got A's there as well though). At the smaller university my science GPA was a 4.0. Probably shouldn't have transferred.

Is there really a chance? My adviser basically said to me, "You're not a URM, you don't have any chance of allopathic at all, you need to retake your MCAT."

So many people are telling me different things. I don't know which is correct.

Contradicting Things:
-You have zero shot at allopathic.
-You have a shot if you apply a lot.
-You have a shot if you retake your MCAT and get the equivalent of a 32+.
-You have a shot if you retake and get a 30 (500).

So many voices. If I had a clear majority saying one thing, I'd know what to do. I know there is no guarantees with med school but I realistically think I can pull a 500 out of my hat (I have a lot of biochem/psych/sociology prep from my degree). But it would suck to spend all the money taking the MCAT, applying to MD schools and not getting into any, and then just going DO like I could have if I never wasted all this money.

But if there is a real chance with a 500, I'm more likely to take it.

The only reason I care about the distinction is I might be interested in surgery and I heard only like the top DO students get into surgery.

So I guess I will try my hand at helping you resolve all these contradicting things.
There is always some modicum of a chance. However, that chance is not good with your current stats and that is why people say zero shot, as they want to discourage you from wasting money. That chance is slightly better if you apply smartly and broadly, but still a low chance given your sGPA and MCAT. The chance gets much better however, if you can destroy the new MCAT, i.e. get like a 90th percentile or above. The higher the new MCAT, the better the chance becomes.

The clear majority says retake the MCAT and try to do as well as you possibly can.
And as to your concerns, it would suck worse to apply as you stand, not get into any MD programs if that is truly where you want to go. Even if you want to do DO, it's not a sure thing, as watching those threads, the applicants can be pretty darn impressive, just with not that incredible of stats. But you do stand a good shot of DO, so that does remain an option. And be sure you can articulate a reason for why DO.

Chances good for DO, probably worse than a coin flip for MD, and you won't get your scores until August or so if you retake, as all the May and June MCATs are filled up everywhere except Guam.

-Is August considered late for MD applications? I'd apply to one school early to get verified.

-I like DO's. I think some of the manipulations are useful, I like that they were the first to come up with the "whole body" philosophy (even if both practice it now), and they are very personable doctors.

If someone told me, an MD and a DO has an equal chance at getting into a surgical program, I'd just apply DO and never think of it again. I'm not even sure I want to be a surgeon, I am also into possibly being an ER doctor, which is open to DO's. I just hate the idea of closing a door on surgery (unless I get the top DO student key), if I would ever change my mind, because I became a DO.

I got into some MD schools with a 27, but I had an extremely good gpa (3.96). Your science gpa alone would probably be an issue for a lot of MD schools. Combine that with a less than stellar MCAT score, and you're in trouble, I think. DO would be fine, but if you're only gunning for MD, you'll need an excellent MCAT score and perhaps a higher gpa.

I'd say zero chance of ME since you only plan to apply to 3 MD schools. Save your money and focus on DO.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2