Chances at Bryn Mawr/Goucher/Hopkins?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

houstonperson

Reaction score
Does anyone have any insight into how important stats are vs medical experience when applying to these programs? I have strong stats (3.99 GPA in engineering at a large state school, 99th percentile SAT) but very little medical experience. I've only started volunteering in a hospital in the past week and am going to start shadowing some local doctors in the coming month. I don't know how much that will diminish my chances at these programs or if it would be beneficial to wait a month or two before applying to be able to add to my application. Any advice would be helpful, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Bump! I'm in a similar situation -- strong testing, solid academic stats, and a really good history of academic interest in/commitment to medicine (I'm a creative writer with a passion for narrative medicine, and have an extensive body of social science research and creative work related to trauma and illness), but no formal clinical experience since high school almost a decade ago. I'm applying for volunteer and shadowing opportunities now and thinking of taking a year to work full-time as an EMT, but would also be curious to apply now and see what happens since I'm already pretty clear on my intellectual goals. Does anyone have experience applying without significant recent medicine related ECs?

I think working as an EMT full time for a year is probably overkill