Chances at Career Changer Post-Bac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tepahtiani

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm new to this Student Doctor Network and I like the level of support that's on here!

About me:
I'm currently doing a post-bac IRTA fellowship at the NIH and this has played a role into me switching career plans (Neuroscience --> Medicine).
I have a B.S. in Cognitive Science. So, I did not do any of the premed prereq's in undergrad.
I'm going to apply to career changer post-bacs, but I am slightly worried about my stats.

Stats:
Community College GPA: ~3.54 (I transferred from a CC to a UC); University GPA: 3.167
Cumulative GPA: ~3.35
No shadowing experience or volunteer experience.
I work in a Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) lab and we work with healthy patients so this could possibly give me a boost.
I am a minority and from a low socioeconomic status (seems like only the California post-bacs take this into account).

Post-Bacs I plan to apply to:
Scripps College
Loyola Marymount University
La Salle University
Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science
CSU East Bay
CSU Fullerton
Bryn Mawr
Thomas Jefferson University

I would appreciate feedback on my chances? Also, any tips on how manageable a 12-15 month-long postbac is with studying for and doing well on the MCAT?

My end goal is most likely an osteopathic medical school.

Thank you for assisting :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wrong forum I think, but should be fine with those stats. The only post-baccs that are competitive are ones with linkages and of those you listed only CSUF has one I believe. Do research on the schools before you commit because some programs are way worse than others.

I think it is pretty easy if you use your time wisely because all of the premed classes you are taking coincide directly with the MCAT material. I started studying late February taking 12 semester units and took it in June scoring 517. Not as high as a lot of people on here, but it's a score I'm more than happy with. I don't think that studying for the MCAT and a fulltime postbacc course load was the most popular decision though as only one other student in my cohort took the MCAT this cycle. Everyone else is taking it in their gap year.
Good point. Thanks for the advice! And, what forum do you think it belongs in? This one looked like the most relevant to me haha