MD Chances at Caribbean Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BritishMedicalHopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT: 493
biology major, anthropology minor
cGPA: 3.27
sGPD: 3.1 I think?
ECs: hospital volunteer, volunteer in a community service organization (around 300 hours), 2 research positions, vice president of community service organization, intramural volleyball team member.

What do you think my chances are? Please be nice I know my application isn't the greatest

Oh, I should add, I can't apply to American schools anyway, so this is my only option. I realize medical schools in the caribbean are not the most ideal, but when you're in my situation, they're my only option.

Members don't see this ad.

Your MCAT score and GPA are not exactly consistent with success in medical school and board licensing exams. If you can't get into a US medical school, you should think about another career. If you still want to try, I suggest you figure out why you did so poorly on the MCAT, study hard for a few months, and retake. If you score much better, consider a post-bacc program. If not, time to move on.

Reactions: 1 users
I obviously can't get into a US medical school with my statistics, but I physically can't even apply due to citizenship issues. So Caribbean is my only choice if I want to pursue a medical career.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you wanting to practice in the US or, looking at your user name, somewhere in Britain?

Are you wanting to practice in the US or, looking at your user name, somewhere in Britain?

I live in the US, so ideally I would like to practice here, but I am not against going back to Britain to practice?

I feel you may suggest this, so I will add this. I have looked into going to medical school in Britain and each school I spoke with has said my American credentials do not transfer to them. I specifically called somebody at multiple schools and this is the response I got. So my actual only option is Caribbean schools. I know they are not the greatest and obviously I am not the greatest student, so this is my final option if I wish to pursue this as a carrer

Caribbean schools will take you. At great cost to you (if you can get loans). Then you will have to fight incredibly hard to not be the majority that don't end up matching (attrition/don't match). Your grades and scores lead me to believe you will likely be a part of that majority. Obviously nothing personal, because I don't know you. Feel free to work extremely hard and prove me wrong.

I live in the US, so ideally I would like to practice here, but I am not against going back to Britain to practice?

I feel you may suggest this, so I will add this. I have looked into going to medical school in Britain and each school I spoke with has said my American credentials do not transfer to them. I specifically called somebody at multiple schools and this is the response I got. So my actual only option is Caribbean schools. I know they are not the greatest and obviously I am not the greatest student, so this is my final option if I wish to pursue this as a carrer

Is there any way to get the citizenship issues cleared up in the next few years? I believe this will help with getting into school here. You will also need to improve your GPA and MCAT of course.

Caribbean schools will take you. At great cost to you (if you can get loans). Then you will have to fight incredibly hard to not be the majority that don't end up matching (attrition/don't match). Your grades and scores lead me to believe you will likely be a part of that majority. Obviously nothing personal, because I don't know you. Feel free to work extremely hard and prove me wrong.

My scores are not the greatest, I know this, and this is because I lost motivation halfway through college (this was due to family issues, personal reasons, nothing in regards to me giving up on being a physician.) My MCAT, I have no idea how to explain. I must have severely screwed up, I thought I studied harder than that. At least enough to get somewhere around a 500. Would you know which schools I have the greatest shot of getting into? My goal school is Ross. Do you think my scores are good enough if I have a very good application and interview (if given one?)

There are other English-speaking European medical schools that may have better linkage to postgraduate training programs close to home. Ireland and Poland come to mind - have you looked into those, too?

Is there any way to get the citizenship issues cleared up in the next few years? I believe this will help with getting into school here. You will also need to improve your GPA and MCAT of course.

Unfortunately not anytime soon. Believe me, I've tried about everything. I have an application in to get a green card but I won't receive any kind of word on it until at least 8 years from now. My hope (sort of) was to find a spouse in medical school to help in this issue, but no sadly I cannot fix my issues any time soon easily.

I obviously can't get into a US medical school with my statistics, but I physically can't even apply due to citizenship issues. So Caribbean is my only choice if I want to pursue a medical career.

Are you sure about this? A lot of Canadians make their way South to MD/DO schools. Aren't other internationals treated similarly to Canadians in terms of visa/citizenship issues? Getting your pre-reqs/undergrad done in North America is probably more of an important factor..and you've already done this. Re-take your MCAT and go DO.

Going to a Caribbean school immediately does a few things..
1) You'll be forced to take the PLAB if you intend on practicing in the UK. If you graduate from a EU school, you can avoid this
2) You'll be the last "priority" for getting an Irish internship i.e. chances of you getting an Irish internship is minimal
And please do double check how GMC will view your MD from abroad. UK practically guarantees internships for both UK and non-EU citizens graduating from UK schools and accommodate in EU citizens graduating from any EU school. I don't know how many spots will be left over for UK citizens graduating from non-EU/non-UK schools.

If US isn't an option due to visa issues etc., i'd consider any cheap EU country to be honest (Poland, Hungary etc.). You can easily make your way to UK afterwards thanks to your EU citizenship.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you sure about this? A lot of Canadians make their way South to MD/DO schools. Aren't other internationals treated similarly to Canadians in terms of visa/citizenship issues? Getting your pre-reqs/undergrad done in North America is probably more of an important factor..and you've already done this. Re-take your MCAT and go DO.

Going to a Caribbean school immediately does a few things..
1) You'll be forced to take the PLAB if you intend on practicing in the UK. If you graduate from a EU school, you can avoid this
2) You'll be the last "priority" for getting an Irish internship i.e. chances of you getting an Irish internship is minimal
And please do double check how GMC will view your MD from abroad. UK practically guarantees internships for both UK and non-EU citizens graduating from UK schools and accommodate in EU citizens graduating from any EU school. I don't know how many spots will be left over for UK citizens graduating from non-EU/non-UK schools.

If US isn't an option due to visa issues etc., i'd consider any cheap EU country to be honest (Poland, Hungary etc.). You can easily make your way to UK afterwards thanks to your EU citizenship.

I can apply, but only certain schools allow international applicants, and of those, only the very high rankings stats would be accepted. At least as far as I've researched.

I hadn't really looked into other schools in the EU. I think I may give that a look. At this point I don't really care where I go.

I would look into other careers if you can't change this. Is that like an 18 MCAT?
You will for sure get into the carribean (everyone does), but you will most likely fail out.
I don't mean to be rude.
I wish the best for you my friend.

A 493 converts to a 20

I understand that you want to be a doctor, but with that MCAT score and GPAs, you are at very high risk for failing out, especially from a Carib diploma mill.

I suggest a different career. The Carib schools prey upon the desperate like you.

I understand that you want to be a doctor, but with that MCAT score and GPAs, you are at very high risk for failing out, especially from a Carib diploma mill.

I suggest a different career. The Carib schools prey upon the desperate like you.

My GPAs are in the fail out range? I didn't think they were that bad...