Chances at Columbia? Thank you!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hansolo1711

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will you please tell me what you think my chances are of getting an interview or admission offer from Columbia this year? I would greatly appreciate your feedback. Thank you!

GPA: 3.75
Science GPA: 3.5

DAT Scores:

PAT: 18
QR: 19
RC: 20
BIOL: 22
GC: 20
OC: 24
AA: 21
TS: 21

Member of Phi Beta Kappa.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm no expert from what I have gathered from around these board those numbers look great. and that PAT score shouldn't matter too much because columbia places very little emphasis on it. I've heard that they value the TS and RC the most.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's going to be hard getting into Columbia with anything less than a 22AA.

The average for the 2011 entering class was 22.6 AA and 21.1 PAT.

I'd say your chances, based on your GPA and DAT score aren't that great.

I'd put you at roughly 33%. You will probably score a later interview though.

As mentioned above...they want 22+ on the TS. They'll move down after a while, and with your excellent GPA you should be among the first called upon.

I'd put you at roughly 33%. You will probably score a later interview though.

As mentioned above...they want 22+ on the TS. They'll move down after a while, and with your excellent GPA you should be among the first called upon.

I'd say 20% is about right. One thing about Columbia is that they don't really give a **** about GPA as long as you're 3.4+. GPAs can be inflated, while the DAT scores usually aren't.

It's going to be hard getting into Columbia with anything less than a 22AA.

The average for the 2011 entering class was 22.6 AA and 21.1 PAT.

I'd say your chances, based on your GPA and DAT score aren't that great.

So should I retake the DAT this summer? I took the DAT on May 5th, 2012; so I have to wait 90 days to retake it, right? So would you suggest retaking it in August?

So should I retake the DAT this summer? I took the DAT on May 5th, 2012; so I have to wait 90 days to retake it, right? So would you suggest retaking it in August?

While your GPA is very good, 18 PAT is kinda low for Columbia. I don't think you should retake the DAT however; you'll get in somewhere even if it isn't Columbia. Are you dead-set on Columbia?

Yeah, basically what everyone's saying is correct. Columbia, above most other dental schools, puts much more emphasis on your DAT scores than your gpa (assuming your gpa is decent enough). They're definitely looking for 22+ on the TS.

However, I honestly would advise you NOT to retake the DAT at all. The chances of moving from a 21 to a 22... is really really risky. It's the difference between 2 or 3 questions. It's possible but it's risky. Also, it's ESPECIALLY not a good idea if you're retaking it solely to get into Columbia. You have to wait 90 days to retake the exam and unless you keep everything fresh, you might not even get a 22. Don't waste your time... your scores/gpa are fine. Spend your time preparing for interviews.

Yea, don't bother with a retake. Too risky I would say. You still have a shot at Columbia, and an excellent shot at any other schools you apply to.

In the end nothing is certain, even if you got a 22 or 23 on the retake.

While your GPA is very good, 18 PAT is kinda low for Columbia. I don't think you should retake the DAT however; you'll get in somewhere even if it isn't Columbia. Are you dead-set on Columbia?

Thank you everyone for your advice. I really appreciate your comments and opinions. My first choice is Columbia; however, I will be applying to the following schools:

University of Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh
Temple University
University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni
West Virginia University
Boston University
University of Maryland

What's your opinion of my list of schools considering my GPA and DAT score (listed above) and the fact that I am a PA resident? Thank you again everyone, and all the best to all who are applying this year.

I think that you're going to have a great shot to get a bunch of interviews based on your stats.... pending that everything else on your application checks out (LOR, personal statement, ECs, etc.) I had very similar stats as you and I was able to get a February interview with 21/21/19 DAT and 3.7gpa. The main thing that you have to consider is that every applicant is different and I guarantee that there were people with higher stats than me in my interview group that didn't get in. What I lacked in scores I felt I made up for with my unique EC and personal life experiences. Bottom line is that it is definitely possible to get in but you have to make a judgement call of whether or not the strength of the rest of your application warrants a retake or not. As for the list of schools... all very solid choices but I would switch out BU for Tufts personally. Let me know if you have any more questions and good luck with your applications!

I think that you're going to have a great shot to get a bunch of interviews based on your stats.... pending that everything else on your application checks out (LOR, personal statement, ECs, etc.) I had very similar stats as you and I was able to get a February interview with 21/21/19 DAT and 3.7gpa. The main thing that you have to consider is that every applicant is different and I guarantee that there were people with higher stats than me in my interview group that didn't get in. What I lacked in scores I felt I made up for with my unique EC and personal life experiences. Bottom line is that it is definitely possible to get in but you have to make a judgement call of whether or not the strength of the rest of your application warrants a retake or not. As for the list of schools... all very solid choices but I would switch out BU for Tufts personally. Let me know if you have any more questions and good luck with your applications!

Thank you so so much! I really appreciate your help and advice! I will definitely let you know if I have any more questions!