Chances at current list 3.795 GPA 513 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

labmonkey808

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. 3.795 cGPA 3.81 sGPA
  2. MCAT: 513 balanced
  3. Hawaii resident, undergrad in Oregon
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: white
  5. Clinical experience: EMT school during summer after freshman year, several emergency department shifts and ambulance ride alongs
  6. Research experience: 2 summers in the same lab + ~15 hrs/week during junior year, 2nd author on two published abstracts presented at Experimental Biology on pancreatic cancer
  7. Shadowing experience: not a whole lot, light shadowing in emergency department
  8. Other extracurricular activities: resident assistant for 2 years (good letter from supervisor, 30+ hours/week), authored a children's book about women in medicine, teaching assistant for biology lab and ethics class for one semester each, couple other non-medical work experiences on application, musician (3 instruments, music scholarship to college) for 17 years
  9. Dean's list (3.7+) for 4 semesters
Obviously my biggest hurdle is lack of clinical experience. Spinning my work as a resident assistant as the majority of my work with people/different populations. Personal statement tracks my transition from music to medicine in college. Here's my working list:

Albany
Albert Einstein
Drexel
Dartmouth
GW
Hofstra
Temple
Loyola
MCW
NYMC
Oakland Beaumont
Oregon Health and Sciences University
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
Jefferson
University of Vermont
Tufts
University of Hawaii
University of Maryland (family connections)
Rochester

Any other suggestions/realistic with that lack of clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You could add Western Michigan, Tulane, Eastern Virginia and Virginia Commonwealth. Your lack of clinical experience will limit your chances for interviews. You should plan to add shadowing hours and clinical volunteering this coming year in case you need to reapply next year.

Reactions: 1 user