Oct 23, 2014
Hello I recently graduated from a large, respected school with a B.S. in Biology and am currently retaking a few of the chemistry pre-reqs in order to prepare myself for DO school, ideally at CCOM or DMUCOM, but will apply other places as well. After retaking these classes and getting A's as I feel I can due to personal issues making things difficult before, my cGPA will be 3.6 and my sGPA will be 3.5. I currently have a 25 MCAT on record but am planning on retaking it, as I took it the first time before taking OChem series. I have applied to both DMU and CCOM before, but in my gap year I got my CNA certification and tallied almost 200 hours already, in addition to raising my GPA significantly via retakes. I have great ECs, as I was a TA for physiology in undergrad, as well as many shadowing experiences, service projects through my fraternity, and other jobs/activities. Do I have a realistic shot at either of these schools or any DO? Thanks!

OP
D
Oct 23, 2014
EDIT: My undergrad institution is known to be a very difficult school for chemistry, as it was investigated for its failure rate during my time there. Don't know if that means anything but its an explanation to my struggling in chemistry with C+s the first time around

Oct 27, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hello I recently graduated from a large, respected school with a B.S. in Biology and am currently retaking a few of the chemistry pre-reqs in order to prepare myself for DO school, ideally at CCOM or DMUCOM, but will apply other places as well. After retaking these classes and getting A's as I feel I can due to personal issues making things difficult before, my cGPA will be 3.6 and my sGPA will be 3.5. I currently have a 25 MCAT on record but am planning on retaking it, as I took it the first time before taking OChem series. I have applied to both DMU and CCOM before, but in my gap year I got my CNA certification and tallied almost 200 hours already, in addition to raising my GPA significantly via retakes. I have great ECs, as I was a TA for physiology in undergrad, as well as many shadowing experiences, service projects through my fraternity, and other jobs/activities. Do I have a realistic shot at either of these schools or any DO? Thanks!
I think you got a good chance looking at your GPA, your MCAT is a bit weak for some schools but DO schools tend to sometimes take things into consideration, sometimes take people with lower GPAs and strong MCAT scores and vice versa and you go the people with both(who could probably be at MD schools). Apply early and broadly and get some good LORS, make a good Personal Statement, prepare well for the interview, hire a coach if you need to do that.

Reactions: DOHopeful10

oOKawaiiOo

7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2011
Public library computer
Status
Pre-Veterinary
There was a guy last year with the 3.5/3.5 and a MCAT of 25. He applied to 25 schools and got 5x IIs.

He got 4 acceptances.

Stats get your foot into the door. Your ability to sell yourself and standout during interviews is the reason you got an acceptance.

Reactions: DOHopeful10

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Do better on your MCAT retake and you'll be fine.

I trust hat you will be targeting other DO schools as well?

OP
D
Oct 23, 2014
There was a guy last year with the 3.5/3.5 and a MCAT of 25. He applied to 25 schools and got 5x IIs.

He got 4 acceptances.

Stats get your foot into the door. Your ability to sell yourself and standout during interviews is the reason you got an acceptance.
I have been told that I am, and I feel I am a very charismatic person, so I feel that if I get an interview I will be
Do better on your MCAT retake and you'll be fine.

I trust hat you will be targeting other DO schools as well?

Yes I will be targeting other DOs, maybe PCOM, AZCOM, and a few others, but based on girlfriend/family locations those two would be the best options.

Reactions: Goro

oOKawaiiOo

7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2011
Public library computer
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I have been told that I am, and I feel I am a very charismatic person, so I feel that if I get an interview I will be

Yes I will be targeting other DOs, maybe PCOM, AZCOM, and a few others, but based on girlfriend/family locations those two would be the best options.
RED: You must be good looking

Blue: I dont know if the 25 will be any value to AZCOM. They like high MCATs. They have stats of lower-tier MD schools.

OP
D
Oct 23, 2014
RED: You must be good looking

Blue: I dont know if the 25 will be any value to AZCOM. They like high MCATs. They have stats of lower-tier MD schools.
Haha I'd like to think I'm okay looking. But I think that I will be able to increase my MCAT a decent amount, both due to better preparation (using Kaplan books this time around) as well as the fact I was in the middle of my first ochem semester when I took it in order to avoid the changeover to the new exam. I know I should be shooting for as high a score as possible, but what is the lowest score I could get to be still considered with my stats? Thanks!

oOKawaiiOo

7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2011
Public library computer
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Haha I'd like to think I'm okay looking. But I think that I will be able to increase my MCAT a decent amount, both due to better preparation (using Kaplan books this time around) as well as the fact I was in the middle of my first ochem semester when I took it in order to avoid the changeover to the new exam. I know I should be shooting for as high a score as possible, but what is the lowest score I could get to be still considered with my stats? Thanks!
Seriously I met a tall, handsome, built Asian guy from ATSU-SOMA. He was fresh out of college with had low scores. I REALLY think his looks got him in.

Anyways, I think 24 (a bit less than 498 on the new scale) would be the lowest MCAT you can obtain for an acceptance. If youre a URM, then a 21-22.

pericardium

CPR certified
5+ Year Member
May 22, 2013
Status
Medical Student
(using Kaplan books this time around)
Just my opinion, Kaplan MCAT books aren't very good. If you're really shooting high, use TBR. TPR is OK in my experience. If you want a good shot at DMU or CCOM, you're gonna have to get that MCAT up higher. I believe DMU's average hovers around 29, and average GPA is 3.6

You do have a better shot at mid and lower tier schools

Last edited: