Quantcast

Chances at Dental School 2016?

DATBooster | The Ultimate DAT Resource
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smilekid003

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new to posting here since I usually just access information through older posts but I wanted to get some feedback/advice from the sdn community about my application to dental schools. My GPA isn't very competitive this cycle but I want to be a dentist more than anything I've ever wanted in life. I have a 3.2 overall, 4.0 non science, and 2.6 science GPA according to AADSAS. I will be taking my DAT this month. I feel pretty good about my extracurriculars, volunteering, leadership, and work experiences as I have over 3000 hours. My GPA shows an upward trend for the most part. I have research experience and I will be graduating with two bachelor's degrees. I dealt with personal adversity during my early college years (explained in my personal statement) and as a result, my GPA reflects this negatively. I am not asking for pity or leniency because of that but I am also not expecting any acceptances this cycle. I still applied to 12 schools anyways. Do I stand a chance at all, and can I count on dentistry ever being a possibility in my future? I understand I will most probably have to complete a masters or post bac program to prove to myself and adcoms that I am ready for dental school, but even so, has anyone recently gotten accepted anywhere with stats like mine? Lately, I've only been seeing the field get more and more competitive so it makes me feel constantly anxious and depressed.

Hi Im Dent

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new to posting here since I usually just access information through older posts but I wanted to get some feedback/advice from the sdn community about my application to dental schools. My GPA isn't very competitive this cycle but I want to be a dentist more than anything I've ever wanted in life. I have a 3.2 overall, 4.0 non science, and 2.6 science GPA according to AADSAS. I will be taking my DAT this month. I feel pretty good about my extracurriculars, volunteering, leadership, and work experiences as I have over 3000 hours. My GPA shows an upward trend for the most part. I have research experience and I will be graduating with two bachelor's degrees. I dealt with personal adversity during my early college years (explained in my personal statement) and as a result, my GPA reflects this negatively. I am not asking for pity or leniency because of that but I am also not expecting any acceptances this cycle. I still applied to 12 schools anyways. Do I stand a chance at all, and can I count on dentistry ever being a possibility in my future? I understand I will most probably have to complete a masters or post bac program to prove to myself and adcoms that I am ready for dental school, but even so, has anyone recently gotten accepted anywhere with stats like mine? Lately, I've only been seeing the field get more and more competitive so it makes me feel constantly anxious and depressed.
I think it would help if you also went into more detail about your upward trend. Has it only been a few semesters or a few years? How many classes in that upward trend are below an A?

Also did you turn that adversity into a strength in your personal statement? If you simply explained why you did bad, it mau not look as good since it sounds like more of an excuse.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

JLT223

DMD
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
A 2.6 sGPA won't cut it. Like you said, you'll need a post bac or SMP.

Advance

DDS
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's hard to chance you without a DAT score. I don't know your personal situation but I think having a 4.0 non-sci GPA and a 2.6 science GPA would be a red flag. If money is no object you could apply this cycle and see what happens, but I would prepare to do a post bacc.

Smilekid003

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it would help if you also went into mire detail about your upward trend. Has it only been a few semesters or a few years? How many classes in that upward trend are below an A?

Also did you turn that adversity into a strength in your personal statement? If you simply explained why you did bad, it mau not look as good since it sounds like more of an excuse.

Hi Im Dent,

Over the past 3 semesters I've been able get A's and B's but also have 3 C's. I've taken over the maximum full time credit load in the past year as well, averaging 5 science classes each term. Prior to that, I've never taken less than 18 credits. As far as my personal statement goes, I had it reviewed by several people before submitting and made sure to address the adversity briefly but focus on how I've grown from the event. It was only a small part of my personal statement though.

Smilekid003

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
A 2.6 sGPA won't cut it. Like you said, you'll need a post bac or SMP.

From what I know about a post bac, it is basically another bachelor's degree. While a masters is graduate level work. Is any one more favorable than the other?

Hi Im Dent

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Im Dent,

Over the past 3 semesters I've been able get A's and B's but also have 3 C's. I've taken over the maximum full time credit load in the past year as well, averaging 5 science classes each term. Prior to that, I've never taken less than 18 credits. As far as my personal statement goes, I had it reviewed by several people before submitting and made sure to address the adversity briefly but focus on how I've grown from the event. It was only a small part of my personal statement though.
Like others said the sGPA probably needs either a postbacc or master's. If somehow it was the last 3 semesters with all A's then you could argue that you have an unstoppable upward trend and that might have given you a decent chance. But the few C's in there definitely makes you less competitive and schools will probably not even view those semesters as an upward trend since an upward trend usually means either all A's or mostly A's with 1 or 2 B's.

Post-baccs and smps will both do the same thing regardless of degree and that is to boost your BCP GPA. I only knew one dental school that preferred a master's over a postbaccalaureate.

Last edited: