This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronzroyce97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a bachelor of science student in my third year of my degree in Alberta, Canada majoring in biology.
These are my stats:

GPA: 3.704
CDAT:
19 AA
19 BIO
19 CHEM
19 TS
20 RC
16 PAT

I've got more than 100 hours of shadowing. I've done a lot of volunteering and for long periods of time, I've also started my own club in my university and am an executive for my universities Golden Key Chapter club and have been for two years now. By the time I finish my GPA should be around a 3.75-3.8 I hope. Obviously my scores are average and my PAT is quite low. What are my chances realistically of getting into dental school in the USA or Australia? Should I even bother applying or just retake the DAT?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a bachelor of science student in my third year of my degree in Alberta, Canada majoring in biology.
These are my stats:

GPA: 3.704
CDAT:
19 AA
19 BIO
19 CHEM
19 TS
20 RC
16 PAT

I've got more than 100 hours of shadowing. I've done a lot of volunteering and for long periods of time, I've also started my own club in my university and am an executive for my universities Golden Key Chapter club and have been for two years now. By the time I finish my GPA should be around a 3.75-3.8 I hope. Obviously my scores are average and my PAT is quite low. What are my chances realistically of getting into dental school in the USA or Australia? Should I even bother applying or just retake the DAT?

Thank you.

Dude you’ve posted three times today on SDN and reddit. Your GPA is great, just redo the DAT and you have a GREAT shot at CANADIAN schools. Spend the $400 for another DAT and save $250K in the future!

Dude you’ve posted three times today on SDN and reddit. Your GPA is great, just redo the DAT and you have a GREAT shot at CANADIAN schools. Spend the $400 for another DAT and save $250K in the future!
Ugh I know i'm sorry haha, you really think a GPA of 3.7 would have a shot at even getting an interview in Canada even if I were to improve my DAT significantly?

Your GPA isn't that bad for Canada, at least for in province I think. OOP might be harder as the avg OOP is usually 3.8+, but if you can get it there I think you should have a good chance even if it's just high 3.7s or 3.8 I would try Western at least for an OOP. I would still retake the DAT, but Canadian schools don't look at it as much as American schools, I believe. I only know this for Ontario though, not for Alberta. The only thing is that you'd need MDT for UoA; I don't know about UoC.

EDIT: I assumed you are an Alberta resident.