DO Chances at DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kamakazi5

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So with the new policy coming for DO schools I figured now is about as good a time as any to finally get some advice since my plan is a bit less clear now. General stats and info below:
  1. cGPA/sGPA should be ~3.4/3.3 assuming the next semester goes well (3.52/3.52 if I had been able to use grade replacement).
  2. MCAT - 503 (126/124/127/126)
  3. Texas resident, BS in microbiology, 30+ year old non-trad, caucasian
  4. 80 - 100 hours of clinical volunteering and around 2,000 hours as a PCT (ongoing as my full-time job)
  5. Shadowing is at >30 hours and I'm working on getting my DO LOR as well as a few more hours
  6. 100 hours of non-clinical volunteering and this is ongoing
  7. In school, I was a TA for 2 semesters and then lead TA of the micro lab for 2 more semesters. After graduating I worked in the food industry before becoming a PCT. Part of that time I was a food safety manager.
By the end of the next semester, I will have taken 55 hours of DIY post-bac with a 4.0 and a 3.9+ over the last ~100 hours if I count my last few semesters during undergrad.

Ironically, I put off applying last cycle to increase my GPA at DO schools a bit more to hopefully just apply one time. Now I understand my GPA hasn't dropped drastically (although science is dropping by ~0.2) but I went from having a decent DO GPA to average/below average.

My main questions are: Should I now try to apply to an SMP? Should I retake my MCAT? Or, will I have a decent shot still with the app as it is?

The moment I saw the news I thought I should retake my MCAT in spring to try and offset the drop in GPA. My main hope is that schools see that I've practically taken a new degree's worth of hours and done well (3.9+). I will be applying to most DO schools and all Texas schools (only because it's so cheap and TCOM is part of the Texas app anyway).

Members don't see this ad.

You're fine. Just apply broadly.

Reactions: 1 user