Apr 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey everyone,

I will be applying to medical school this coming cycle and just wanted to get some opinions. I have a cGPA of 3.5 and a BCMP GPA of 3.33. I have a 28R on the MCAT. I have four years of clinical volunteer work in the ER of 3 different hospitals along with some other volunteer experiences. I participate in four different student organizations. I also have 4 1/2 years of research experience.

What are my chances of getting into one of the allopathic Kentucky schools? Should I retake the MCAT again even if it means my application won't be submitted until August? I have spoken to two advisers. One said I would have better success this cycle if I stuck with my current score and submitted everything as early as possible while the other adviser said I should retake the MCAT in July. Also, I will be attending the EVMS Medical Masters Program starting this fall. I realize that most people in this program end up in the EVMS MD program, but I would rather attend one of the Kentucky schools for financial reasons among others.

I realize that my stats aren't that great, but the Medical Masters program should help show that I am capable. I will also be applying to a couple of DO schools (DMU and PCOM) although they wouldn't be my first choice. Are there any other MD or DO schools I should considor with my stats? I am a Kentucky resident, but am attending undergrad in Iowa.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I just want to make sure that I go through the application process as best I can to increase my chances of success.

MacVA

10+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2008
Status
Non-Student
What county do you reside in?

PM me as soon as you have a chance.

Apr 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for your response. I thought the same thing so I signed up to take the MCAT in July. I know I can score higher considering I took the MCAT in far less than ideal circumstances and scored 8 points lower than my practice test average. My pre-med advisor suggested that I retake the MCAT in July, but I spoke to an admissions adviser at my undergraduate school's medical school and she said that I should only retake the MCAT if I take it in April or May. She said that I would have a better shot if I just stick with my current stats and submit everything in June. I think she was assuming that I would only raise my score a couple of points though. She also said that it would be a big risk and "almost wouldn't be worth all the stress" because it is only slightly below the average of the schools I am interested in and I am going to be in the EVMS Medical Masters program. It is hard for me to believe that and that is why I am trying to get as many opinions as possible. I feel like July would be the earliest I could retake because I am finishing up a strenous final semester and need some time to refresh MCAT material after graduation.

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2005
working on my tan......
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I am not sure about the Masters.....it may be a risk.

But, I know you need something higher: either GPA or MCAT.

does the Masters if you do well guarantee you a spot? Like a SMP?

I do think if you underperformed that badly then you can get higher and it will look alot better. Just submit everything else early and dont take the MCAT past mid July.

Most schools dont really get started on the new cycle until the old cycle matriculates in Aug....so you will not be that late...few weeks at most. But a strong MCAT will catch their attention.

The only thing I am not sure on is what is teh Masters you are in. I need clarification on it.

time md

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
You could be in Pikeville (DO) or LMU-DCOM (DO that is just over the state line) if you're interested. As far as UK or UofL. You have a shot, but a pretty long one based on my own experience applying to these two schools. The quickest solution would be to retake the MCAT and rock it.

PM me if you would like. I think I could give some specific advice that might be helpful.

Apr 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I am going to be in the Medical Master's program and Eastern Virginia Medical School. It is a SMP. The class size is usually around 25 and the success rate for acceptance into medical school is about 85% while comepleting the master's program, so most people don't have to take another gap year after the program. Most of the people who get into medical school end up going to Eastern Virginia. From what I hear, all but 2 of the students from the program last year ended up going to EVMS even if they got accepted to other medical school. It involves taking most of the first year medical school coarses with the the medical students and whatever classes you high pass or honors in, you don't have to retake as a first year medical student. I am confident that if I perform to my ability in the program, I will get into their medical school with my current stats or else they wouldn't have accepted me to the master's program. From reading other threads on student doctor, it sounds as if they don't guarantee a spot in their medical school, but they hold a spot for you and it is your to lose. I have absolutely no problem going t medical school at EVMS, but would prefer a Kentucky school because of instate tuition. As of right now, I am going to continue with my plan to retake the MCAT in July unless I continue to get advice againt it.

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2005
working on my tan......
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Well, in that case, you really dont have that much to lose.

You more than likely will get into Eastern Va unless you go down off a 28, which from the sound of it probably will not happen.

Since you have a good shot at MD school at East VA, dont waste it and proceed with caution.

Apr 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks. I really appreciate it. I am going to work my butt off and hopfully avoid the bad luck that has plagued me the last couple of years. I just need this last semester of undergrad to be over so I can get back into my peak MCAT form.

Apr 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I sound like I am treating this like the super bowl, which I guess it kind of is.

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Classyville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
For those two schools definitely apply very early. Also if it interests you both have more rural track programs which are more lenient in stats. If you are anything but a white male it helps. If you are from outside of Lexington or Louisville it helps.

MacVA

10+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2008
Status
Non-Student
See the advice above. Dr. Bowtie must be a medical student at UofL.

OP, I sent you a PM. Get that GPA up...