Chances at MD/DO Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I currently have a 3.57 GPA with a BCPM GPA that will probably be just slightly lower. I am a Bio major with a Kinesiology minor. I'm taking the MCAT in a few weeks and am currently getting practice scores around 28.

EC's include:
-1000+ hours as an EMT and 500+ hours as a nurse's aide (clearly I enjoy clinical experience). I also have a leadership position as one of the officers in charge of our ambulance service.
- Teaching assistant in EMT training class (also a college course) and EMS Instructor certification.
-Volunteer experience both as an EMT and as a CPR/ First Aid instructor.
-Officer position in medical interest club.
-Involvement (but with no significant leadership position) in a few other on-campus activities.
-Research in a bio-behavioral health lab for 2 years which will culminate in the publication of an undergraduate thesis.
- Shadowing experience with family practice physician (father is also a doctor).

I have no preference as to DO vs. MD (father is a DO so it's what I've grown up with) but will probably apply to both to have a wider variety of schools in the geographical area I'd like to stay in (Mid-Atlantic region). What do you guys think my chances would be at DO or lower-tier MD schools? Any feedback is very much appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Looks pretty good. The MCAT is obviously going to be a big factor, so go big.

For MD : getting a 30+ would put you into the realm of competitiveness.
For DO : getting a 26+ ( 28+ would be best) would put you at competitiveness for the higher tier schools.
Either way I think your pretty good.

Members don't see this ad :)
With your cGPA of 3.57, an MCAT of 26-28+ gives you a great shot at DO schools and with a 31-32+ a decent chance at MD schools.

Your research and clinical experience are excellent. You have teaching and leadership. You have volunteerism, but is anything you've done nonmedical? Any experience in a hospital environment?

I'm sad to see that someone with built-in connections hasn't shadowed more widely. But you could still get that in, even with a short time remaining before submission (I'd aim for a total of 60-80 hours including what you have). It is acceptable to shadow a physician parent, but you can't get a DO LOR from one. Strategize to get in some shadowing time with someone who is hospital based if none of your experience is a hospital environment so far, like with an ER doc or hospitalist.

Even though you don't have a lot of shadowing, your EC's are really good. A 28 MCAT would be pretty weak for allopathic schools, but not too bad for DO (still not ultra-competitive, though).