Chances at MD school as a Canadian?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gwynplaine

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since my thread almost 3 years ago I completed another degree (2 years), and wrote the MCAT this month. I got my applications mostly done for the Canadians schools that I am applying to, and I should have a decent shot of getting in province, and a smallish chance at a few others outside my province that only look at last 2 years or second degree stats.

My question is, is it feasible to apply to some US schools for this cycle or is it much too late at this point?

My stats:

First degree in Commerce (4 years, finance major): cgpa ~3.0

Second degree BSc bio major (2 years, 69 credits): cgpa 3.88, and sgpa should be somewhere around 3.85 or so, didn't calculate precisely. Counted A's as 3.9, and A+ as 4.0 as the Ontario scale does; GPA would be higher if I counted A's as 4.0, but think the U.S. converts like this as well.

cgpa would be over 3.9 and sgpa near 3.9 if it weren't for Ochem I in the summer where I got a B- due to being late for the final exam worth 2/3 of the grade (got A+ in Ochem II right after).

Also I might be missing some pre-requisite courses, i.e. don't have any biochemistry done, or Calculus II. Not sure if there are many that require that though.

I assume summer courses are counted in the U.S. though (some schools in Canada don't count them); the ochem grade also dq'd me from at least a potential school in Canada that I would've had a shot at otherwise. However since all my science courses come from my second degree the sgpa is significantly higher than the cgpa which is still very low at ~3.3x or so counting everything.

From my understanding though, all the U.S. schools look at the overall GPA, without eliminating any years, even if there is an emphasis on upward trend and sgpa.

MCAT: Wrote July 20, FL1,2,3 scores were 515,512,521 so expect anywhere from 510-525.

Assuming I get let's say ~515 on the MCAT, do I have a shot at some U.S. MD schools if I apply before the end of July? And how much would my chances improve if I don't get in Canada and apply next cycle as soon as it opens?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Since my thread almost 3 years ago I completed another degree (2 years), and wrote the MCAT this month. I got my applications mostly done for the Canadians schools that I am applying to, and I should have a decent shot of getting in province, and a smallish chance at a few others outside my province that only look at last 2 years or second degree stats.

My question is, is it feasible to apply to some US schools for this cycle or is it much too late at this point?

My stats:

First degree in Commerce (4 years, finance major): cgpa ~3.0

Second degree BSc bio major (2 years, 69 credits): cgpa 3.88, and sgpa should be somewhere around 3.85 or so, didn't calculate precisely. Counted A's as 3.9, and A+ as 4.0 as the Ontario scale does; GPA would be higher if I counted A's as 4.0, but think the U.S. converts like this as well.

cgpa would be over 3.9 and sgpa near 3.9 if it weren't for Ochem I in the summer where I got a B- due to being late for the final exam worth 2/3 of the grade (got A+ in Ochem II right after).

Also I might be missing some pre-requisite courses, i.e. don't have any biochemistry done, or Calculus II. Not sure if there are many that require that though.

I assume summer courses are counted in the U.S. though (some schools in Canada don't count them); the ochem grade also dq'd me from at least a potential school in Canada that I would've had a shot at otherwise. However since all my science courses come from my second degree the sgpa is significantly higher than the cgpa which is still very low at ~3.3x or so counting everything.

From my understanding though, all the U.S. schools look at the overall GPA, without eliminating any years, even if there is an emphasis on upward trend and sgpa.

MCAT: Wrote July 20, FL1,2,3 scores were 515,512,521 so expect anywhere from 510-525.

Assuming I get let's say ~515 on the MCAT, do I have a shot at some U.S. MD schools if I apply before the end of July? And how much would my chances improve if I don't get in Canada and apply next cycle as soon as it opens?

Im no expert on Canadian students but even if you did apply now, it’s rather late. Say you applied July 30, it takes a month for verification, that is if your transcripts are even at AMCAS. If not that’s additional time to process. From there, youll do secondary essays which will be well into September, which is on the late side which will hinder your chances.

Also, even if your AMCAS was complete early, not sure that your GPA would be competitve since that 3.0 does seem a bit alarming even if it wasnt science classes. Unfortunately youd be reporting all course work at all institutions and so it wouldnt reflect your more recent cGPA right at the outset.

Yeah, I'm wondering about that cgpa too since I'd be out of state, and some schools are not even Canadian friendly. So the cgpa will always be much below average accepted overall, but will have the sgpa high and high second degree stats (but not sure if they can see if that's the case or whether at first the whole gpa is reported together).

Hopefully I can get a good MCAT score too, but there again not sure how much of a difference say a 515 from a 520 would make. Since in Canada CARS is the really important section, and after you meet the cutoffs the differences do not seem to be weighted heavily. I assume the difference is much more substantial in the US though.

I've been looking at a few universities with a higher number of international matriculants to see which one is more friendly, but not entirely sure how
pertinent that info is.

But say I was a US student without an in state school applying this late with those stats, would it be worth it to send a few applications to the more gpa lenient/lower tier schools over the next few days?

But say I was a US student without an in state school applying this late with those stats, would it be worth it to send a few applications to the more gpa lenient/lower tier schools over the next few days?
A few things,
1. OOS US citizen is still >>>>>> international applicant
2. If you apply now, you'll be verified in 3+ weeks, by which time the already slim chances are even slimmer
3. "cgpa which is still very low at ~3.3x " they expect internationals to have rock star stats to even look at us, 3.3 is likely a deal breaker for MD, but maybe DO
So assuming you get a fantastic MCAT, and have great voluteering, DO is still an option I believe. But MD is very very hard at this point.