MD Chances at MD schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre-med1312

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, long time lurker here.
I am planning to apply to MD schools next cycle (I think it's already too late for this year) and was wondering if anyone can help me with a school list.
MCAT: 514 (130,125,130,129) and GPA 3.95 (Chem/Bio double major) from a small state school. ORM white male, CA resident
Extracurriculars:
volunteering:
50 hours volunteering and raising funds for children
75 hours providing food to the homeless
400 hours working at free medical clinic (direct patient contact)
300 hours volunteer tutor for college students
Medical experience:
ER scribe and clinical trainer 3000+ hours
shadowing 3 different specialties 150 hours
research:
two different biomedical research projects in biochemistry (320 hours) and cancer research (125 hours); 3 poster presentations at national conventions, 1 research competition(1st place) no publications though.
other stuff:
laboratory TA 500 hours
pre-med club member 50 hours, Vice-president of a campus club for a year (member for 3 years)
honor roll every semester, fluent at 4 languages

Are my extracurriculars even competitive for any MD schools? People on here seem to set very high standards. Should I retake the MCAT?
Can anyone help me make a good school list? This is what I got so far:
Tulane
EVMS
Creighton
Drexel
Penn State
Albany
Albert Einstein
GW
Temple
Loyola
MCW
NYMC
Oakland Beaumont
RFU
St Louis
Jefferson
Cincinnati
VCU
All UC schools, USC

Thank you for your help in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You do not need to retake your MCAT and your EC's are fine. You could add more schools such as:
Boston University
Tufts
Quinnipiac
Mount Sinai
Georgetown
Western Michigan
Wake Forest
West Virginia
Vermont
You could apply this cycle but if you decide to you would need to apply in the next week and submit all your secondaries by late September.

Check MSAR to see if your CARS score is outside the 10-90 percentile bands they give. While I do agree that you probably shouldn't have to retake, I do think if you don't get in this time it may help to get a better CARS score (but this it is risky to retake a 514 so think long and hard before going down that road-ONLY do it if you call schools to see the reason for rejection and they keep giving it as a reason). But honestly, you're more than likely getting in, barring red flags (and assuming you put decent effort into personal statement, primary, and secondary essays).

Thanks guys,
Honestly, I am not sure if I can get a better CARS score. I am an ESL student and CARS is very challenging for us non-native speakers. I was mainly worried about my extracurriculars. I might have to push myself to submit this cycle.