Chances at NYU Dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

da0717

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just recently graduated with a Bachelor's degree in accounting and I realize I hate the field. My freshman sophomore year of college I was pre-dental. I took these following science courses:

Bio 1: First semester freshman(F--> No Credit)
Bio 2: W (First try)
F (Second try)
Gen Chem 1: B Lecture
A Lab
Gen Chem 2: B+ Lecture
B- Lab
Calculus 1: C (First semester freshman)
English 1: B+
English 2: A-
PSYCH Stats: B-
PSYCH 101: B+
PSYCH 214 adolescence development: B-
PSYCH 215: A+
Spanish 111: A+

I have a 3.2 overall GPA. What are the necessary steps for me to take to become a DDS. Should I go back to school as a non degree student? Also I have volunteering experience in an ER and I've shadowed a dentist.

Members don't see this ad.

From the looks of it, you will need to retake both bio courses as well as taking (depending on the school) orgo I and 2, physics 1 (and maybe 2), anatomy and physiology, and possibly microbio and biochem. You will definitely need to check the school's requirements for admission before applying to make sure you're on the right track there.

I did my courses as an informal post-bacc, so I don't see any harm in going that route. Look into masters or post-bacc as well. Also, remember that psychology will not count toward the science GPA.

Try to aim for 100+ hours volunteering and shadowing. Volunteering in the ER is not bad, but try to diversify and showcase your interests with future volunteering opportunities. I recommend shadowing at least three different general dentists if you can so that you can see how different offices do things.

You've got a long road ahead of you, but you can do it if you set your mind to it! Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
I did my courses as an informal post-bacc, so I don't see any harm in going that route. Look into masters or post-bacc as well.

Can you talk a little more about your experience with doing an informal post-bacc? Did you take classes at a 4 year college or community college? Was it self-funded or were you able to take out loans? And were they undergraduate level courses you had never taken or retakes?

To OP I think the smartest move is to do a formal post-bacc. They are available at virtually every school that has a medical/dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you talk a little more about your experience with doing an informal post-bacc? Did you take classes at a 4 year college or community college? Was it self-funded or were you able to take out loans? And were they undergraduate level courses you had never taken or retakes?

To OP I think the smartest move is to do a formal post-bacc. They are available at virtually every school that has a medical/dental school.
Sure. I did my informal post-bacc at the 4-year undergrad campus of the dental school at which I work. Through my full-time work for the university system, I was able to get tuition assistance to cover all costs except lab fees. Mind you, I took 1-2 classes per semester, so it was very slow progress for me. Majority of the classes I took during this time were retakes for classes in which I got C's during undergrad, but I did take anatomy and physiology 1 & 2 as well as biology 2 for the first time there. In total, I took about 9-10 undergrad-level classes over two years.

It worked out well for me, but that by no means will work for all.

Reactions: 1 user
I just recently graduated with a Bachelor's degree in accounting and I realize I hate the field. My freshman sophomore year of college I was pre-dental. I took these following science courses:

Bio 1: First semester freshman(F--> No Credit)
Bio 2: W (First try)
F (Second try)
Gen Chem 1: B Lecture
A Lab
Gen Chem 2: B+ Lecture
B- Lab
Calculus 1: C (First semester freshman)
English 1: B+
English 2: A-
PSYCH Stats: B-
PSYCH 101: B+
PSYCH 214 adolescence development: B-
PSYCH 215: A+
Spanish 111: A+

I have a 3.2 overall GPA. What are the necessary steps for me to take to become a DDS. Should I go back to school as a non degree student? Also I have volunteering experience in an ER and I've shadowed a dentist.
First off, why do you wanna go to NYU? It’s ridiciously expensive.

If you apply, I think you’ll get an interview there because they don’t attract high stats applicants. 3.2 is good enough, but make sure you get above 21 on the DAT. Everything else is on your paper can be cookie cutter stuff because NYU probably doesn’t care as much. When you get an interview, just express how much you want to come to the school and just be like a normal human being and they’ll accept you.