chances at Pitt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rnnpmaybe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 23 y/o non-trad with a BSN from Pitt, which is a top ten nursing program, graduated 3rd in my class with a 3.89 GPA. Taking pre-reqs currently, plan on getting A's in all of them. Took graduate classes in nursing school. Currently a charge nurse in med-surg but hoping to transfer soon to ICU. Volunteer at animal shelter and Planned Parenthood. Hoping to do research (volunteer) with a world-famous surgeon. (keeping my fingers crossed). Assuming everything i mentioned works out/ stays the same, what are my chances of getting into Pitt? How about with research not with a world famous surgeon, but another UPMC physician? Assuming good LORs.

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, you need a really good reason to switch from nursing to medicine. Word on the street is that adcoms see at as wish-washy for people straight out of nursing or pharmacy school to apply to medical school.

Secondly, you'll need a solid MCAT, obviously. I'd say shoot for a 34 or a 35. I have an interview at Pitt scheduled for September, and I have a 35 and a 3.9+.

Thirdly, research is research. And at Pitt you will be expected to have some. Sure, some research with a UPMC Physician would be great but don't think that you'd have no chance if you did research elseware.

Fourthly, you might not want to mention Planned Parenthood volunteering. That's such a controversial topic, and a lot of adcoms may be politically conservative. You want to make yourself look as moderate as possible. But that's just my 2 cents.

Good luck! And remember to apply early, because Pitt is on the ball with interview invites.