Chances at Reapplication?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

potatolatke

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Here are my stats, to get them out of the way:

cGPA: 3.56
sGPA: 3.44
MCAT breakdown: 32Q -> 12 verbal, 10 PS, 10 BS (took once)

- 6 months of payed biochemistry research
- 2 years of payed psychiatric research assistantship (second author poster and a first author paper in the works)
- Private tutoring 4 years (various subjects)
- About 30-50 hours of shadowing 2 doctors (more scheduled this semester)
- Vice President of student body (1 year)
- Leadership position at (and cofounder of) a non-profit international development organization (3 years)
- Volunteer at Burn Treatment Center for 2 years
- International medical volunteering experience (about 2 months all together)
- Part of a couple of medical/development organizations and a debate team (3 years)

My GPA took a massive drop the last two semesters due to some really terrible personal problems and I got a couple of Cs in BCPM classes (one that was taught by one of my recommenders, embarassingly). I applied last year but, due to my crazy personal problems, I wound up only applying to three of my schools around the end of October and got turned down at all three (well, wait-listed VERY high at my state school).

Should I take a gap year? I have two plans of action:
1) Apply again this June, stay in school part-time and do honors research and maybe get a poster out of it or something while volunteering and working full-time as an NA
2) Don't apply till June 2013 and use the time to do all the above AND more volunteering etc.

What do you guys think my chances are with either scenario?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not an expert, but your sGPA is not shockingly low after those few C's - meaning that you did rather well in your other BCPM classes. I would go with option one. Since you are staying in school part-time, maybe you can retake one of those C's?

Other than that, your EC's look excellent. Your GPA's are not terrible. And your MCAT is even slightly above average! Adding on to your application is a must if you are a re-applicant. So definitely try option #1. The benefits outweigh the risks IMO.

Thanks! I am actually retaking one of them (linear algebra) but one of them was in independent research (which I may or may not be able to replace).

As for my MCAT, would it be worth retaking it? I was scoring in the upper 30s on my practice exams.

Honestly, even just the thought of going through the whole application process again is just... poopy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not at all. Apply EARLY! You got waitlisted so I'm guessing they were still considering you. You hav a much higher shot if you apply early, get those 2ndarys in, and interview well!
I would apply and NOT take a gap year in your case.

No need to retake the MCAT just apply early and broadly. As long as you can explain your personal issues in your primary or secondary application you should be good.

Thanks! I am actually retaking one of them (linear algebra) but one of them was in independent research (which I may or may not be able to replace).

As for my MCAT, would it be worth retaking it? I was scoring in the upper 30s on my practice exams.

Honestly, even just the thought of going through the whole application process again is just... poopy.

Do not re-take the MCAT, the thought is also....poopt, to quote you, is it not?
Unless you have a year or so to rest in between tests, then maybe think it over, still the score is decent and that you interviewed at the state school well, you are in a very good position.

Continue the part-time classes (that is so important), keep up the ECs, and DEFINATELY call the state school admissions office and ask what are your chances going EDP there this cycle(only if you really like the school). Good GPA and keep up the good work...