Jul 12, 2019
Status
Medical Student
I'm interested in EM or surgery in california (los angeles, san diego, palm springs area)

Given my step score (still awaiting comlex) do i have good chances?

thanks in advance.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Yes, very good chances.

I think EM is the specialty that has the third highest numbers of DOs in it.

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
You can match either of those specialties with that score, however your chances are NOT very good at programs in those locations. Surgery in California is notoriously difficult for DOs outside of the former AOA programs (there are 2 now as Arrowhead just merged with the local MD program). EM is more likely, but I don't know enough to give you specifics.

Reactions: BorntobeDO?

BorntobeDO?

5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I'm interested in EM or surgery in california (los angeles, san diego, palm springs area)

Given my step score (still awaiting comlex) do i have good chances?

thanks in advance.
I was going to make fun of you, but now that I see the locations I understand. EM is probably a better bet than surgery unless you know people.

Jan 5, 2018
Status
Medical Student
Apply to the 3 former AOA programs, do aways in Cali and do your best and get good letters, I think OP can match into somewhere in Cali? No? Especially into a former AOA gen surgery program or community acgme?

Reactions: help_please000

Ragtime

An underdog
7+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Out of curiosity, would the OP have greater chances for those locations if he had been a California resident his entire life with the exception of attending medical school out of state?

OP
H
Jul 12, 2019
Status
Medical Student
Out of curiosity, would the OP have greater chances for those locations if he had been a California resident his entire life with the exception of attending medical school out of state?
Yea, I have been a california resident my entire life, i moved to the east coast for medical school but i want to come back for surgery or EM. I'm just not sure if i will get it, even though my score is good, because:
1. me being a DO
2. me coming from an east coast school
3. california being so competitive

AlbinoHawk DO

An Osteopath
5+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2013
Status
Non-Student
EM? Most likely can get the arrowhead and palm springs programs easily. Surgery? Perhaps riverside or arrowhead. With good scores like that, I'd look into Arizona or Nevada. You'll be close and compete with fewer people for a better residency. Trust me, you don't want to do surgery at arrowhead

OP
H
Jul 12, 2019
Status
Medical Student
is it overshooting if i want an EM residency that's NOT aoa? (UCSD, kaiser, UCLA) after all, i'll be applying when the merger is in full effect right? or will they be heavily favoring MD's

nimbus

10+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2006
Status
is it overshooting if i want an EM residency that's NOT aoa? (UCSD, kaiser, UCLA) after all, i'll be applying when the merger is in full effect right? or will they be heavily favoring MD's

Those programs are overshooting unless you have an outstanding application otherwise. Kaiser has a single DO from WUHS. None of the other programs have a single DO resident. Many are from T20 MD schools.

Last edited:

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
You can obviously apply, but I wouldn't expect much. UCLA Harbor has DOs I believe. To answer the first question in this post, no it's not overshooting to expect to match an EM program that isn't former AOA. It just isn't likely to be one of the 3 you are mentioning.

OP
H
Jul 12, 2019
Status
Medical Student
Those programs are overshooting unless you have an outstanding application otherwise. Kaiser has a single DO from WUHS. None of the other programs have a single DO resident. Many are from T20 MD schools.
What is considered an "outstanding" application otherwise, the SLOE's & research?

DarkHorizon

10+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
also, how much will me being a DO hurt my chances at an MD residency? Even though the merger is in effect?
Dude, you’ll match somewhere, It’s not the end of the world if it not in California. There is life outside of California, I’m sure you know as you moved for medical school. Just apply and see what happens. Nothing you can do about it. You can always move after you’re done.

Jan 5, 2018
Status
Medical Student
With a 246 in EM or surgery you can expect to match somewhere in cali..it won't be the top programs unless you have some connections but there are other programs in cali which are more DO friendly where OP has a chance. OP needs to go on FRIEDA and look up the residencies by %DO to see where he has a decent shot to match.
https://freida.ama-assn.org/Freida/#/
That website is your biggest friend OP!

BorntobeDO?

5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2013
Status
Medical Student
What is considered an "outstanding" application otherwise, the SLOE's & research?
Yes.
Honor your SLOE's, get some research, and try to find someone who matters to those programs to vouch for you. An away is probably your best and only real shot at those programs. That said, go for it. You have worked hard so far, might as well push all the chips in.

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
also, how much will me being a DO hurt my chances at an MD residency? Even though the merger is in effect?
This depends completely on the field and individual program. For some programs they don't care, others you have to be better than the MD applicants they get, and in others still it's a non-starter and even if you have a 270 they will throw your app straight in the trash. So there really isn't a good way to answer your question without being more specific.

For surgery in California? Yes it will hurt quite a bit at most programs.