Chances at some lower tier D.O. schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jpnugs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm getting a little apprehensive about going to a caribbean and thought I might give D.O. a shot. What are my chances at some of the lower tier D.O. schools like LECOM, NYCOM, and UNE?

undergrad: top 25 school
EC's: 4 years (400 hours) head coach basketball, 1 year clinical research (200 hours), 50 hours clinical hospital volunteer, various clubs, various part time jobs
GPA: 3.1 cum, 2.96 science (going by AMCAS gpa's), No F's or D's, but two W's
MCAT: 30P

Also, if I apply right now is that considered pretty late in the cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest not applying with a science GPA under 3.0. With a year of retakes, you can realistically have a 3.3 or higher and be competitive for all DO colleges.

Thanks for the reply, but I really do not want to spend a year doing that (I just graduated, can not afford it, would be very open to do this if this was my junior year). Do you think my current application is competitive for those 3 schools I mentioned?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply, but I really do not want to spend a year doing that (I just graduated, can not afford it, would be very open to do this if this was my junior year). Do you think my current application is competitive for those 3 schools I mentioned?

Assuming you can't afford it because you have loans of some sort, should be a better reason to do it right away, enrolling in a class can defer your loans. You might get auto-screened because of the 2.96.

I will have to say definitely no for UNE and NYCOM. Both have an average GPA of 3.5 or 3.6. Not competitive for LECOM but not out of the race either.