Chances at top 10??? 3.77 cpa/3.71 sGPA/36R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Umma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what my chances are. Having a primary author paper submitted for publication. ive been a musician all my life

one poster presentation
one upcoming research competition
one upcoming conference presentation

honors undergraduate thesis underway
hundred something hours volunteering at the hospital- direct patient contact
i also have some on campus leadership activities too

im a neuroscience major.
any input will be helpful =)

Members don't see this ad.

Not a bad chance, but don't hold your breath. Apply widely just like everyone else. If you just apply to the top 10 schools, there's a very good chance you won't get into any.

im scared about my bcpm not being good enough :(
what do you guys think?????

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is your mcat score that will give you the leverage for possible entrance into an upper tier medical school. Keep in mind that the Ivies have a 36-38 median compososite, while mid-tier usually stands at 34. Just follow The Prowler's advice and apply is and oos, broadly that is

Highly unlikely.

hrmm...have you considered DO/Caribbean?

Apply Carribean.

I know unrealistic negativity/sarcasm is part of SDN culture, but for once could people just try to be serious? If you don't want to give the guy critiques or genuine thoughts, just don't respond.

OP, you're a little light on something that will make you interesting. Your grades are decent but below their averages, your MCAT is around their averages, and your research seems good but not something they won't have access to already in other applicants.

What do you bring that makes them believe you will be special, because there's lots of applicants with research, high grades, and some service/leadership sprinkled in. For a top 10, you've got to make sure you can make them want to interview by being interesting in some way. This isn't to downplay your publication, that is outstanding for sure. But that alone won't be enough. You've obviously got a shot at all of them, but find what it is that really "sells" yourself. Just keep in mind that you'll be going up against guys with 3.9+ GPAs and 39MCATs with there requisite 1-2 years of research.

Honest response:

I think you have a good shot at a top 25, and you might get an interview or 2 in the top 10, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Your chances of admission are better if you did undergrad at HYPSM, but a less than perfect sGPA can be a kiss of death for the top 10. Be wary of anecdotes like "BUT KINASEPRO MY FRIEND IS AT UCSF WITH A 3.6??!?!?!?!?" because they are truly the exception...

Just keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best.