Chances at top 20 schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perth Domer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I go to a top 20 school and have a 3.62 cGPA/3.55 sGPA with a strong upward trend. I got a 14 11 11 P on the MCAT. I was wondering what my chances at schools like Vandy or Emory or Wisconsin (my state school I know it's not top 20) would be. Thanks! (I have some research, but not long term, a good bit of volunteering, study abroad, etc. I've been told I interview well).

Members don't see this ad.

It's a crapshoot with the top tier. I was rejected pre-interview by Vandy with higher GPAs and 34P. I didn't have any research, but lots of clinical experience. I didn't complete Emory's secondary, so don't know what would have happened. Your GPAs are the weak point though, so it just depends on how much weight each school gives to that MCAT score. Apply to a couple of reaches in the top-tier and see what happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
My clinical is somewhat weak as of now, but in a week I start a volunteer project in Florida that will bring that up to snuff (the two that got the position last year said it was all they talked about at interviews, and each got into her #1/2 school.)

I don't have much leadership, but hopefully I land a position teaching Kaplan in the fall and can update schools on this.

My advisor said the research is good enough for anywhere except Duke/Stanford in his experience with the application process. I got a 4.0 this last semester taking 3/4 classes Science and taking the MCAT in April. I think I can land somewhere close to this next semester taking 18 credits. My freshman GPA is weak due to taking two semesters of theoretical proof based calc, I'm hoping that the Adcoms consider this a bit.

Schools I was thinking of adding were:

Reach/Dream: Emory, UChicago, Northwestern, Hopkins, Mayo (hour from home), Columbia, Cornell, Vanderbilt

Others: Miami, Loyola, Rush, Tulane, St. Louis, NYU, Case Western (maybe should go to the reach category), Ohio State, Cincinnati, MCW, Wisconsin, Georgetown

I know this is top heavy, any other schools you'd recommend to add/remove? Hopkins/Vandy would be absolute dreams so I'd apply if I had a .001% chance of entry. I'd like to leave the midwest, but if Madison is cheapest I'd go. How well does Madison do matching outside of the midwest?

OK, so I talked with my advisor and he said I'm an outside shot on the reaches but still to apply. Also, said I might be a bit weak on research but could sell what I have. He also recomended to add UVA as they're friendly to OOS students, so my list looks like this:

Reaches:

Emory
Vanderbilt
Hopkins
Mayo
Columbia
Cornell
UChicago
Northwestern

Non-Reaches (or at least not super far reaches in some cases):

MCW
Wisconsin