Chances at top programs from average med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gwmed999

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a student at George Washington applying for medicine residency. I'm wondering what my chances are at top programs, like BW, Mass General, Hopkins and especially UCSF, coming from an average school like GW. My step 1 was 250+, mostly honors, including medicine clerkship. Some research, no real publications. Letters probably good, but not great. Am I kidding myself even thinking of applying to these programs?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say you have a fair chance at these programs. Bottom line is if you are interested, then you should apply. Of course, don't count out programs like Duke, Penn, Columbia, etc. You probably didn't mean it that way, but seriously for IM it's not MGH/BWH/Hopkins/UCSF or bust, and some of the other programs may in fact be better fits (since you are looking at Bay Area, look closely at Stanford also).

Its really hard to get a beat on what different program look for, because each has a different tradition and personality. The best way to objectively determine housestaff make-up is by visiting program's website, and seeing where they come from. Finally, its the match, very unpredictable no matter who you are, and your best bet is applying to programs that you would want to end up at. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I'm a student at George Washington applying for medicine residency. I'm wondering what my chances are at top programs, like BW, Mass General, Hopkins and especially UCSF, coming from an average school like GW. My step 1 was 250+, mostly honors, including medicine clerkship. Some research, no real publications. Letters probably good, but not great. Am I kidding myself even thinking of applying to these programs?

I think you are greatly underestimating your chances. You should apply to top programs. MGH is always a bit of a crapshoot, but you will match in a top university program (unless you are a real freakazoid on the interview trail)

Thanks for the responses! I'd just heard/read that maybe med school reputation and letters mean more in IM than in some other specialties, so I was concerned about both of those things. Oh well, I guess it's a little late to change any of those things now, so I'll just hope for the best! That and try not to be a freak on the interview trail.....

Thanks for the responses! I'd just heard/read that maybe med school reputation and letters mean more in IM than in some other specialties, so I was concerned about both of those things. Oh well, I guess it's a little late to change any of those things now, so I'll just hope for the best! That and try not to be a freak on the interview trail.....

your school has a great rep! I REALLY would NOT worry if I were you!!

I think you are greatly underestimating your chances. You should apply to top programs. MGH is always a bit of a crapshoot, but you will match in a top university program (unless you are a real freakazoid on the interview trail)

I would agree. I've had students match with similar credentials at these "top" places - and a GREAT interview goes a long way. The granting of the interview can be amazingly arbitrary.

I think you'll make a fantastic applicant to any IM programs. I was contemplating between IM & Plastics since the beginning of this year. It was a tough switch as all of my LORs were from surgergy. My publications are all in plastics and surg onc and my step 1 is slightly below 250. However, I was told I would be competitive for either Plastics or IM at most programs. I think research will enhance your application even though you're not published and a 250 should help!

I wouldn't sell yourself short. I myself have been very lucky thus far in my application process. No interview invitations from MGH, Hopkins, or UCSF yet, but will update if I hear from them. But remember, there are other great programs out there other than MGH, Hopkins, and UCSF....you have to find one that matches your personality and career goals. Good luck!