Chances at U of L and UK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MinitorV

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been creeping for awhile and wanted to go ahead and make one of these. Any input would be great. I had a bad start but have had a great upward trend.

Semester 1
Chem 1 C+
Bio 1 B+

Semester 2
Chem 2 B-
Zoology B+

Semester 3
Botany B
Organic I B+
Calc I A-

Semester 4
Microbiology A
Ecology A-
Organic A-
Cellular Biology A

Summer
Signal Transduction A
Bio Research A

Semester 5
Anatomy and Phys A
Physics I A-

Semester 6 current
A Advanced musculoskeletal anatomy (preparing a cadaver for next years anatomy class)
A Chemistry research
A- Anatomy Physiology II
A Physics II
gpa 3.89-4.0 for the semester

Applying with a CGPA 3.68 and SGPA of 3.59
MCAT= 28-32

EC:
6 week medical missions trip to south america where we lived with a local family. Was able to take blood suture ect.
EMT for 2 years for campus and local fire department
Leadership position on campus emergency medical services
Business Development Assistant at a mercedes dealership for a summer
tutor for a semester for a class of roughly 120 people
Varsity track for 1.5 years
Intramural Sports (volleyball and basketball)
Volunteered in med surg for a semester about 20 hours
about 50 hours shadowing getting more in the month of June before I apply while waiting for my mcat scores.

I was wondering if there was anything else that I should really be looking for to add to my resume while I am about to apply specific to U of L and UK. I am a ky resident so they really are kinda my focus. I have been working on the mcat and have been getting alot of 9's but have been getting a decent amount of studying done and started to do about 2-3 hours a day about 2 weeks ago and have the entire month of may for nothing but the mcat.
Not opposed to going DO as well but kinda feel like I'm in the awk place between the two.

Sorry this is so long

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you're in good shape for both schools. Your GPA is on par with the average matriculant at both schools, with the added bonus of an upward trend. With a ~30 on the MCAT you'll be in a good spot. Your ECs look very good as well (especially clinical). While it would've been nice to see some research, about 30% of accepted applicants at both schools did not list any research, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

You are very fortunate to be a Kentucky resident. About 30% of KY applicants matriculated to Louisville, while 20% of KY applicants matriculated to U of K (both of which are among the highest IS acceptance rates that I know of).

By all means apply broadly (both MD and DO), but I think you've got a very good chance at both schools.

I think you're in good shape for both schools. Your GPA is on par with the average matriculant at both schools, with the added bonus of an upward trend. With a ~30 on the MCAT you'll be in a good spot. Your ECs look very good as well (especially clinical). While it would've been nice to see some research, about 30% of accepted applicants at both schools did not list any research, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

You are very fortunate to be a Kentucky resident. About 30% of KY applicants matriculated to Louisville, while 20% of KY applicants matriculated to U of K (both of which are among the highest IS acceptance rates that I know of).

By all means apply broadly (both MD and DO), but I think you've got a very good chance at both schools.

I actually have a semesters worth of chemistry research and two months work of biology research in signal transduction.

Are there any other EC's I could be working on adding that may be beneficial for either one of these schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks.
Will I be looked upon unfavorably due to my low gpa freshman and sophomore year at all or will that just be overlooked? I know my gpa is still above U of L's average.

Also what other MD schools would you all recommend given my stats and EC's? I have been doing many practice exams and have been getting upper 20's and 10's or 11's when doing individual sections so I am expecting to get probably a 29-31 range.

Keep up the good work and you will have a good shot at UK and U of L.

Are you applying this cycle? If so, get your letters of recommendation lined up, start filling out the AMCAS app when it comes available at the beginning of May, and submit as close to June 1st as possible. Early applications are very important at UK and U of L! I would go ahead and submit the AMCAS even before you get your MCAT scores.

Your ECs look good, and I believe the GPA is right on par with the average for both schools. Keep focusing on the MCAT, because that's going to be the most important thing now. 10's and 11's on sections of the practice test is good, so keep doing what you're doing and brush up on some of your weaker topics.

Get your application and secondaries in as soon as you can (UK's secondary is long, U of L's isn't), interview well, and I think you have a good shot. I think being a friendly, personable kid from Kentucky can go a long way at these schools! :)

Keep up the good work and you will have a good shot at UK and U of L.

Are you applying this cycle? If so, get your letters of recommendation lined up, start filling out the AMCAS app when it comes available at the beginning of May, and submit as close to June 1st as possible. Early applications are very important at UK and U of L! I would go ahead and submit the AMCAS even before you get your MCAT scores.

Your ECs look good, and I believe the GPA is right on par with the average for both schools. Keep focusing on the MCAT, because that's going to be the most important thing now. 10's and 11's on sections of the practice test is good, so keep doing what you're doing and brush up on some of your weaker topics.

Get your application and secondaries in as soon as you can (UK's secondary is long, U of L's isn't), interview well, and I think you have a good shot. I think being a friendly, personable kid from Kentucky can go a long way at these schools! :)

Great! Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it.

As far as summer goes other than shadowing and submitting my app as close to June 1st as possible, is there anything else I should do. I am looking for a job right now and I know I am taking a few online classes. I can always pick up some stuff if need be...
:thumbup:

So I edited what was listed above to give my MCAT stuff. What schools should I make sure I include in my list.

I am currently attending undergrad in Ohio.

Currently:
Kentucky
Louisville
Pikeville DO
William Carey DO
Wright State
Lincoln Memorial DO
Nova DO
Des Moines DO
West Virginia
Louisiana State
Louisiana State Shreveport

As you can see I seem to be lacking in MD schools to apply to. Some advice would be nice.

So I edited what was listed above to give my MCAT stuff. What schools should I make sure I include in my list.

I am currently attending undergrad in Ohio.

Currently:
Kentucky
Louisville
Pikeville DO
William Carey DO
Wright State
Lincoln Memorial DO
Nova DO
Des Moines DO
West Virginia
Louisiana State
Louisiana State Shreveport

As you can see I seem to be lacking in MD schools to apply to. Some advice would be nice.

I just skimmed over your OP so you will have to forgive me if I missed anything.

Since you are applying as a KY resident I don't think it is wise of you to apply to the LSU schools. They heavily recruit in-state students. Shreveport doesn't even admit OOS students to its regualr MD program. This is form their website (http://www.lsuhscshreveport.edu/Admissions/Requirements.aspx):

"At the present time only applicants who qualify as Louisiana residents for LSU Tuition purposes are offered admission. Exceptions may be made for the children of LSUHSCS medical graduates and/or MD-PhD applicants."

Also is there any reason why you are choosing not to apply to OUCOM? Their OOS contract scare you off?